PSA! Firmware Update for 7616-NI-E2 V3.4.106_191009

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After 30 Months I just saw a new update for the 7616NI-E2 NVR
Im a bit shocked since this thing has been EOL
V3.4.106_191009
Download Portal

Unfortunately no release notes so I have no idea what was addressed. If anyone happens to know let us know!

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not only that

Turbo 1.0 got 3.4.5

NI-ST got update aswell

I asked if thats related to message i received yesterday by hikvision that their hiddns is shutting down in fabruary 2022 along with ivms4500, their answer was ,"Delayed publish" Nothing else. You will notice release date for all of them is 15.12.2021

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are shutting down ivms 4500? what are people supposed to use?

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have this firmware on mine. There were a couple of enhancements made (don't recall at the moment), but it still sucks from the point of view that it has 2 nasty flaws;
There is no way I know of that it can handle the advertised 16 cameras if they are all IP cams and not plugged into the POE ports locally and directly.
I have more than 8 ip cams that are on a remote site, which communicate over a vpn (a common security setup). Recording and control works fine, but it will not let me add a 9th camera (or more), no matter what I do, and I've tried a lot of things. The other, which I see is also somehow not included on some other brands (rebranded hikvisions?) is this... If I am playing back to get forensic evidence, I cannot pause at a point in the recording and press anything to get a snapshot of that image saved to a thumb drive. All I can do is save a section of video to the thumb drive. This is time-consuming and wasteful. Often, I find that I am taking a picture with my cellphone and using that, but the quality is never the same and it involves bluetoothing over to another box. I will probably ask for suggestions on what brand is out there that doesn't have these limitations and perhaps which can support 32 modern-day hd cams. If anyone knows the workaround for these two problems, please let me know.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way I know of that it can handle the advertised 16 cameras if they are all IP cams and not plugged into the POE ports locally and directly.
Is this with the NVR channel in 'Manual' mode and the LAN IP address of the LAN-connected camera configured on the channel so it doesn't use the NVR PoE port?

If I am playing back to get forensic evidence, I cannot pause at a point in the recording and press anything to get a snapshot of that image saved to a thumb drive.
Using a PC?
There isn't a 'Snapshot' camera-like icon at the bottom of the playback page?
And a screenshot with Alt-PrtScrn ?

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this with the NVR channel in 'Manual' mode and the LAN IP address of the LAN-connected camera configured on the channel so it doesn't use the NVR PoE port?

If I understand you correctly, I think the answer is yes. LAN goes to main switch and then to router and modem. All cams are on a remote subnet. All cams have manually-set static IPs. I can actually specify a 9th cam IP and it will connect and appear in the list of connected cams, but when I go to the display matrix (3x3=9 in this test case), it will not display the 9th cam in the 9th window. It shows their logo and has a "+" sign in the lower-left corner. If I click to add it, I get the message "No more IP camera allowed.". I haven't tried a camera simultaneously out of a poe port (there are 16 of them), since I have no use for them (no local cameras, only remote).

Using a PC?
There isn't a 'Snapshot' camera-like icon at the bottom of the playback page?
And a screenshot with Alt-PrtScrn ?
This is all on the display screen plugged into the nvr. I had spoken with Hik support way back when I discovered this and I was told that I could use ivms-4200 to connect to the nvr and that app can do snapshots, which is an f'n stupid workaround imho. Of course, under w10, I can snapshot anything with start-shift-s, but I don't use 4200. My work box is for work. The nvr is next to me as is the display for it. Installing and using 4200 for a head end just to get this functionality is a major band-aid for a firmware blunder and an unnecessary load on my work box. On the nvr itself, there is no place to get any type of screen shot and save, only video clips. And here's a good one... If I save a clip to a thumb drive in the nvr and that clip is an avi, if I try to play it back on the nvr, it can't play it. All the video clips that get exported can only be mp4 or avi, which is fine, but the mp4 they write is non-standard and requires their player app to view. It can be converted using handbrake, but it is definitely non-standard and requires an extra, time-consuming step to process. The avi file is apparently standard or seems to be and it can be viewed using vlc, but I assume that the firmware on the nvr thinks its encoded and tries to play it that way, so it error's-out. Another coding failure. It is definitely, reliable and decent hardware for sure, but the firmware is typical hikvision with a focus on making it proprietary in every way it can, and in doing so, they end up making the end-user's job much more difficult while crippling the firmware. I bet all the bs code to make it proprietary and storing their logo is taking up the space that some good, useful code like snap-shotting, could use.

I wish that someone had firmware source or could hack it, but the chance of that is nil, which is more than the possibility of hikvision actually releasing a firmware revision to fix these things. How does a security manufacturer not recognize the need to output a snapshot quickly and easily?

I'll try to find an nvr with superior functionality and if I can't, I'll make something nice and run blue iris on it and sell this to someone who just wants p-n-p poe cams at their house/business. I am sure it's good for that, but not anything seriously pro.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I'm always open to suggestions, pointers, learning, etc.

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a little update and some major weirdness...

I installed some more cams today and I was able to add them as ONVIFs. Static IPs. They are all there in the list, but in the realtime display, I still have 8 cams and I still can't add the 9th in the bottom-right corner. I just happened to click on one of the cams I installed today and then playback. It appeared! Not only that, but select all 11 cams and they ALL showed up in the PLAYBACK window. They are ALL recording, but they can't be monitored in LIVE mode. This has to be a bug. If they are all recording, they should be able to be seen in live mode. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When viewing multiple cameras on a grid like 4x4, the NVR is decoding/showing you the substreams. Meanwhile the recording is done on the main stream. If those ONVIF cameras have no substream, they will be recorded just fine, but on a 4x4 view you will not be able to see them.

If you double click it to make it full screen, then it will show the main stream, and you will be able to see it.

developer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When viewing multiple cameras on a grid like 4x4, the NVR is decoding/showing you the substreams. Meanwhile the recording is done on the main stream. If those ONVIF cameras have no substream, they will be recorded just fine, but on a 4x4 view you will not be able to see them.

If you double click it to make it full screen, then it will show the main stream, and you will be able to see it.
I understand, and that makes sense as sub is less resolution, etc., but the ones that are onvif are amcrest and I have both main and sub configured on each. The balance of the cams are hiks using hik proto. If I put it into 4x4, it only shows the first 8 cams in live view and balance just show hik logo. 6 hiks and 2 amcrests are the 1st 8. It really is bizarre.