PSA - Microsoft Edge Updates and Explorer

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So good ole Microsoft has snuck something in Windows that we need to be aware of (at least those that need to use Explorer for accessing camera GUI).

They have now made it so you cannot uninstall Edge, but then they also snuck in some Task Schedulers that run constantly. Some on my computer are running every hour and some are once a day.

They are looking for Edge updates and I bet one day will just wipe Explorer off your computer.

I was wondering why Edge kept updating and kept opening up when I would open Explorer.

So for those of us that lock down and disable Windows Updates, be sure to check your Task Scheduler for any updates they have hidden here.

Now to find out how to get rid of Edge another way or at least disable it.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Even if you change group policy to disable edge, it still runs.
Cortana is the same way, remove it and it still runs.

Some antivirus would not guarantee protection if you use Edge. This started back in 2016 and is finally came to a head in 2020.
There are still things to watch out for.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
None of this is happy news for running BI......
My Son's restaurant/bar is using BPA accounting software and a 2 POS registers to process debit cards, on 2 older Dell Optiplexes ( 7010 Sff), running w-7.
last time everything crashed in 2016 I brought all their machines up from XP pro to Vista 32 Bit pro, to W-7 pro, via Upgrade paths, so they wouldn't lose thier propietary accounting software, and $ transactions.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how BI 5 would run on 7 in my largely offline situation.
Although....I did enjoy todays email push of a Fed Ex driver, ( fresh off the Boat) calling me on the intercom, and his verbage was all cart before the horse, which made me suspicious thinkin " Not the Homeless guy again",,,,grrr, but the image BI sent me was of a Guy in a Fed Ex uniform, delivering my Liftmaster Logic board.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I still have no regrets sticking with 7 on my desktop computer. I have 10 on a laptop and was really pissed when the last update installed crap I don't want.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
None of this is happy news for running BI......
My Son's restaurant/bar is using BPA accounting software and a 2 POS registers to process debit cards, on 2 older Dell Optiplexes ( 7010 Sff), running w-7.
last time everything crashed in 2016 I brought all their machines up from XP pro to Vista 32 Bit pro, to W-7 pro, via Upgrade paths, so they wouldn't lose thier propietary accounting software, and $ transactions.
I would spend the money to pick up Ghost or Acronis and make a copy on an identical drive, just in case.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how BI 5 would run on 7 in my largely offline situation.
Although....I did enjoy todays email push of a Fed Ex driver, ( fresh off the Boat) calling me on the intercom, and his verbage was all cart before the horse, which made me suspicious thinkin " Not the Homeless guy again",,,,grrr, but the image BI sent me was of a Guy in a Fed Ex uniform, delivering my Liftmaster Logic board.
I am pretty sure I had BI5 running on Win 7 for a while. My BI at the office was one of the last machines I upgraded.

I still have a BI 4 license on a win 7 machine. I thought I might spin it back up for a quick fix somewhere, but haven't needed to.