PTZ Camera System for Broadcasting Sports Games

Reaction score
Hello ipcamtalk,

My name is Dash, the founder of LyveSports. I am interested in using IP Cameras to create a live broadcasting system for high school football games. In my head, it works perfectly, however, I am certain there are obstacles and areas I am overlooking. Before I invest money in this system, can you please let me know if this is feasible? If not, any input on how it could be possible would be awesome.

1) Buy an IP, PTZ Camera and place it at a football stadium
2) Take the RTSP submitted from the camera, and run it into a broadcasting software (vMix for example)
3) Have on offsite, remote location, receive the feed and do the editing
4) Take this new feed and then send this new RTSP to a streaming software like Wowza.com
5) I embed this feed and fans/viewers can watch the game

Some questions/concerns I have:
- Is it possible to setup these IP Cameras without a DVR/NVR? I will be recording remotely so no need to record on one.
- If i setup a PTZ, will there be a latency by panning and tilting? I need to make sure I can accurately keep up with the gameplay.

I know this idea is a bit different use than most for IP Cameras, but I would love to have a central broadcasting studio that receives IP Streams, and distributes them onto my website (LyveSports.com)

Thanks in advance,

Dash

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PTZ Cameras dont give you the smooth action your used to in sporting events, those use really nice gimbals to give good fluid motion.. PTZ's are more move, view, move, view.. trying to view while moving is kinda sucky compared to a normal solution for this, you dont get to control the pan speed on the fly like you need too.. its going to be a fixed speed.

but if you insist your going to need a high speed PTZ, and likely a joystick controller so you can get decent low latency control.. and I expect its going to work best for a general overview that you adjust before each play.. tracking the action once the ball is hiked is going to be hard as hell, might as well man an actual camera if thats what you need IMHO.

and by low latency, there is still a delay.. old Analouge PTZ's were really great at realtime playback and controll, but IPCameras have an inherent latency ranging from half a second to a second on average.. if you were trying to do it remotely, it'd be even worse.

Hope you dont have any night games either, I woudlent expect any great results at night.. even with a well lit field all that motion is gona be a challenge.. I can zoom my PTZ right under a sodium street lamp, and without IR its a crap image getting people just walking by.. its not as well lit a stadium, but its not visibly dark either.. most IPCams doing color at night on a field of running people tossing a ball around is going to be difficult I suspect, even with stadium lighting..

Last edited by a moderator: