PTZ For 2nd Story Peak. Too Obvious?

ryebread

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So a few questions:

1) Are the PTZ cameras excessive for a normal suburban neighborhood? Does it draw too much attention and stand out too much? Red circle in picture is where I want it. (Not my actual house just a sample)

2) what’s the best one a 2nd story Eve. Was thinking of the SD49825XB-HNR or one of Andy’s Mini PTZ

I have 10 normal cameras around the 1st floor of my house so don’t really need auto tracking more so for manual inspection down my street and closer view of things when needed. But if people think auto tracking is valuable I would consider that too.

thanks!

Attachments

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Not the 49825 as it is 8MP on a sensor designed for 2MP so unless you have stadium quality light it will be useless at night.

Who cares what the neighbors say right @Ri22o lol
I have started to go down that path, but do still prefer they be less conspicuous, if possible, just to keep the remarks from my near neighbors at bay.

That being said, I had the mini PTZ on the second floor soffit and I doubt anyone noticed it. I have since moved it to the first floor soffit because it was being obstructed by the trees after the leaves grew in. I would say go for it, you could maybe even get away with a non-mini and paint match it to the siding or some other manor to make it less noticeable, if that's a concern.

54A2AF2B-7163-4359-BF42-69D5E44FB45A.jpg19147627-F038-4337-8895-B96011FBFAB9.jpg

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Auto-tracking is nice because it essentially gives you an infinite number of additional cameras. I have several cameras off of the front of the house, but none of them would have been able to give the same details as in the videos in my threads below.

ryebread

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Auto-tracking is nice because it essentially gives you an infinite number of additional cameras. I have several cameras off of the front of the house, but none of them would have been able to give the same details as in the videos in my threads below.

Appreciate the in depth reply! We’re these videos using the SD4A425DB-HNY on the 2nd floor? Other then the obstructed trees did it work well on the 2nd level? Mine is actually the opposite first floor I have tree obstruction so 2nd level would allow me to look over it around them.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
The second thread with my neighbor looking shady in the hoodie was from the second floor. The other thread with multiple videos was from the first floor.

It worked well on the second floor before the trees leaved. After that there wasn't much of a gap for it to see and track people. The thought was to see people further away and be able to track them for longer, but if it can't see them to track then it's just a wasted effort.

Here is another video from when it was installed on the second floor.

ryebread

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And if she does, "it's been there the whole time..."
Anyway to mount this without using the L shaped wall bracket? My eve is v shaped so can’t mount under neath but I feel like using the l shape wall bracket will stand out too much.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyway to mount this without using the L shaped wall bracket? My eve is v shaped so can’t mount under neath but I feel like using the l shape wall bracket will stand out too much.
Do you have the camera yet? There's a metal bracket that screws into the soffit/mount/whatever. Then the camera attaches to the bracket. So any flat surface would work for mounting. In your case, mounting it directly to the soffit would put the camera at an angle. It may be tough to configure well if what the camera thinks is up is really at 45 degrees or something. In your case, you may look at an adjustable mount like the one below. The holes on the bracket are on a circle with a 92mm diameter and the mount has slots at the 45 degrees that extend to a diameter of 115mm so it should work. Or find someone who can weld or bend metal and have an angled bracket made to the angle of the roof. Or someone may know of a better/more reliable mount.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It doesn't look like he has a soffit to mount to. The fascia almost seems to be basically flush with the siding.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you wanted to make something, this configuration might be your best option.

View attachment 164525
I felt by the time you used all of that, the PTZ wasn't that mini and would be better off with a standard PTZ, so I used an angle bar that allowed the bracket to have a minimal footprint not even seen and tucked it up close to the house as well.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It seems to me that mounting it that high would give the best chance of seeing the furthest but mounting it at the left front of the porch wouldn't lose a whole lot. You'd lose a little bit of angle to the right but it's still high enough to see down the street a good ways. And the 11th camera would blend in with the 10 better than the 1st camera would blend in with nothing. Is the added benefits worth the added costs/complexity?