PTZ Question - Difference between PTZ Scan & PTZ Tour?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a ipc-pd42212 PTZ camera. It has two options, tour & scan. The tour looks like it will follow any preset patern (10 seconds per preset) then move on.

What is the scan option?

Thanks,
Rich

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Scan swings from a user set endpoint to another set endpoint at a chosen speed, and then back.

Tour visits your presets in the order you choose, and loiters for a duration you choose.

SD

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it bad to have PTZ cameras going back & forth or to presets all day? Doesnt that burn out the motors?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think so. The Dahua's I have are commercial grade. I'm sure it wears the camera out faster the more you use it, but that's why they are PTZ.

Either way, as cheap as they are, you can have it serviced, or buy another.

My solution was to use two PIR sensors on the corners of the building I'm protecting. The standard view covers the entrance to the driveway, and is where the camera preset will keep it. When the PIR's detect anything, the camera will swing to that location and scrutinize for movement. It will follow that movement for 30 - 600 seconds, then return to the driveway again. Tripwires and intrusion boxes are set up to track any driveway movement.

We have camera's at our work location that "tour" 5 presets. They have been doing that for 5+ years, are commercial grade and we expect many more years of service.

SD

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hrmm, is there a way to use a PIR which is a POE type device (sending data to the camera over the network)? For example I have a driveway alarm sensor which is connected to some home automation lighting. When someone drives up the driveway lights go on, emails go out. Can I somehow tie that into the camera? Driveway alarm goes off & the scan pans to the driveway for 30 seconds?

My PTZ doesnt have auto motion tracking but I just bought this one:

Free Shipping DAHUA Security IP Camera 2MP 25x Starlight PTZ Network Camera Without Logo SD52C225U HNI-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Which is supposed to have motion tracking so thats cool too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it bad to have PTZ cameras going back & forth or to presets all day? Doesnt that burn out the motors?
Aside from prematurely wearing the camera, it makes zero sense to arbitrarily move the camera around, either you need to capture that area or dont..there is a thread by @nayr describing how he integrates sensors to the ptz..

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a big argument to justify using ptz cameras, and now with cameras at such a low price its always a better option to use more static cameras to cover the areas fully and not hit and miss with a camera on a patrol pattern missing half the action.