PTZ usage in residential?

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Genuine question, but what would a genuine application be for residential users?

I understand you can have the cameras look at different areas at different times of day etc..

I love the idea of having it, but i feel as if, if someone wanted to break into the property they would simply "distract" the PTZ camera by making it track you etc..

Would love to hear from people who have some PTZ setup at their home etc.

Thanks.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got one location in which I'm thinking of installing a PTZ camera. It's on the large shed (we call it the micro-barn) about 60 ft. from the back of one corner of the house. That corner and side of the house is currently uncovered--either along the side or in its approaches, but it's also very low-risk. I figure on putting a PTZ camera on the µBarn and point it back at the house. That way I can also swing it around to narrow-in on other parts of the yard, from a different perspective, if I want.

Dahua's got one that might be interesting to me for this application: New Dahua Bullet PTZ - PTZ1C203UE-GN.

Haven't seen a review, yet, though. Hey Andy, if you need a reviewer... :lol:

Otherwise I go with fixed or varifocals.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have anew one I'm testing for Andy (test this weekend I hope). It replaced the single inside camera I had. So far the benefit I see if being able to define presets and be able to view different locations easily remotely. IF someone were to break in, I could very easily hit a preset to see the front door or down through the house, or part of the kitchen. Could I do it with multiple fixed cameras? sure. It will likely sit in the one primary position 99% of its life. Its not auto-tracking but a very good camera.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/29547

Outside is a different game. If I had the space/property It would be handy. A few guys here have the higher end auto-tracking ones that work pretty well if your environment isnt filled with trees.

I'll be helping a buddy install one in his barn Sunday to keep tabs on the goats!

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
PTZ's are fun to use, but in reality you can accomplish the same / more with multiple cameras. I have an auto-tracking on my house but also several stationary cameras with the same view, so the PTZ is more for fun.
Yes. Dahua sd59225u-hni is my favorite camera.. good idea to have a stationary as backup for view

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
if someone wanted to break into the property they would simply "distract" the PTZ camera by making it track you etc..
Yes, they could try to do that.
I have stationary cams that call a PTZ ( or activate other cams) when motion is triggered. So if some clever bugger wanted to "distract" a PTZ, thats ok. His buddy will trigger another camera and the PTZ's move to strategic preset's depending on what camera is triggered.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I have anew one I'm testing for Andy (test this weekend I hope). It replaced the single inside camera I had. So far the benefit I see if being able to define presets and be able to view different locations easily remotely. IF someone were to break in, I could very easily hit a preset to see the front door or down through the house, or part of the kitchen. Could I do it with multiple fixed cameras? sure. It will likely sit in the one primary position 99% of its life. Its not auto-tracking but a very good camera.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/29547

Outside is a different game. If I had the space/property It would be handy. A few guys here have the higher end auto-tracking ones that work pretty well if your environment isnt filled with trees.

I'll be helping a buddy install one in his barn Sunday to keep tabs on the goats!
This one is the latest 2mp starlight , not waterproof. We get good feedback for this model, working great.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one each in the front of the house and the rear of the house. Normally I have them pointed at an area I need covered. However if there is something else I need to zero in on I can rotate it to that spot and zoom in on it. I find them to be quite useful.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
How is that accomplished?
Easiest way.....Using Blue Iris.
There are a few other methods, this way is simple and quick.
ptz how.png

PTZ
1. Single PTZ in BI make a group - eg Group= "PTZ".
2. Under PTZ conrol in BI, Lookup the preset you want to call, when motion detected on other camera. eg Call PTZ preset #3 "House Bridge"

Other Camera
3. Select "PTZ "in the group you just made for the PTZ
4. Select the preset on the PTZ you want to call, as selected in (2)ie PTZ preset #3 "House Bridge"
5. Check box and then select move camera groups "PTZ"

Test by triggering "other camera". PTZ will be called into position.
Thats a basic config, you can experiment further from there. Multiple PTZ are a little more complicated, but the basic's are the same.

Last edited: