PTZ works BUT doesn't!

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using a Panasonic BL-C131 security camera with PTZ control on Blue Iris (BI).

I have PTZ enabled in the camera>ptz/control window and everything works fine when I test using the BI "Edit Presets..." button. If I click on a specific Preset and tap "Go" the camera correctly moves there...

BUT the PTZ control icons are never enabled below the live camera image in the BI Camera frame.

And they never appear under the remotely viewed camera image (where I really need them)...

I am stumped. What am I missing to get this working?

I have everything set up exactly (as far as I can tell) as BI documentation indicates it should be.

Attached are images of the BI PTZ/Control Tab camera setup parameters; an image of the non-enabled ptz controls for the live camera; and what the remote access image of a camera with ptz controls should look like (mine shows ONLY the camera w/o controls); and the ptz Preset page.

Thanks.

ptzSetup.jpg unenabled.jpg noCtrl.jpg preset.jpg

Last edited:

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. It did (and does) as well as my login which has Admin privileges and ptz enabled.
As far as I can determine every ptz "enabling" checkbox I have ever been able to find in BI has been turned on, but to no avail.
:-(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. It did (and does) as well as my login which has Admin privileges and ptz enabled.
As far as I can determine every ptz "enabling" checkbox I have ever been able to find in BI has been turned on, but to no avail.
:-(
Specifically are you going to blue iris options>users>admin and ensuring ptz/control is checked?

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. That is correct.
Here is a screen image. Note that the Admin user is also "Enabled" (lower left part of image). The User "keb" is set up identically too....
admin.jpg

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
As I was mousing around the live camera window, trying to document settings before deleting the camera, I noticed a PTZ icon button flash as I moved over it. It is the first time I have seen that happen, so investigated more and discovered that for the first time in 2 years I now have PZT camera control there. Not sure what happened all of a sudden, but am pleased to discover this capability at last. [:)}

Re the Remote viewing of a camera, I realized that there are multiple viewing methods and only some of them are going to be able to implement a PTZ Toolbar at the bottom of the viewer window. Is there documentation (I haven't found any) or links to the process of setting up this capability. I need to be able to view on Windows laptops, Android, and iPhone platforms, so maybe this ptz capability isn't practical for me.

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Burky, if you are remote viewing over windows 10, the only browser with ptz working for me anymore is Chrome with ie tab installed.

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
Burky, if you are remote viewing over windows 10, the only browser with ptz working for me anymore is Chrome with ie tab installed.
OMG Gordo. What a find! That is one heck of a Chrome Extension. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have had to leave Chrome and start up IE to access a site with Active-X content, or the like. This is the best thing since sliced bread.
Thanks.:goodpost:

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
YES!! I now have ptz control in the live camera view with Chrome! The "IE Tab" is amazing.
Is anything similar possible using an Android phone/tablet?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
YES!! I now have ptz control in the live camera view with Chrome! The "IE Tab" is amazing.
Is anything similar possible using an Android phone/tablet?
the blue iris mobile app has ptz controls...if you dont see the controls on the server or app you have something set wrong..

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
fenderman said:
the blue iris mobile app has ptz controls...if you don't see the controls on the server or app you have something set wrong..
You are absolutely correct and the BI Ap on my Droid does indeed work fine. My bad, as I wasn't clear. I have my own created Home Security & Control web page with Camera images on it and would love to have PTZ controls below the main living area camera image (where perps would most likely first show up), rather than having to open a separate BI Ap window to move the camera around this large room area. ;)

IE, are there any Java scripts that I can embed on my web page to achieve the equivalent of this?
view.jpg

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
fenderman - In an effort to achieve a cross-platform solution that allowed me to position my BL-C131 Panasonic camera, I created a hotspot map for the camera's web page image, that sends the appropriate command to the camera.

In the case of moving to Preset1, for instance, the hotspot map is defined....
<area shape="rect" coords="0,185,80,217" href="http://cameraIP/nphControlCamera?Direction=Preset&PresetOperation=Move&Data=1" target="_self" alt="Preset1"/>

This moves the camera as intended BUT it also results in a new Window with the camera's response. That is...
upload_2017-4-25_9-8-55.png

Can you suggest how to eliminate this response, as it obscures the original camera image and I have to manually move back to the camera page, which is a bit of a pain.

Instead of a direct command link I even tried linking to a separate HTML page that moved the camera and then tried to close the resulting page, forgetting that java will not let you close a document, not directly open by the same code, so I am still stuck with an open page. :-(