Pull as web image as a camera?

Migel

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to set up a new 'camera' that is just a periodic snap of a publicly available web url png file?

I tried variations in the camera setup but haven't found a combo that works.

I only need extremely infrequent refreshes of the image.

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can type into your browser the URL in your screenshot (http://yadayada.com/graphs/blahblah.png) and up pops the image, it should work with BI.
If not, check the address after 'http://' (yadayada.com) and check the 'video path' (/graphs/blahblah.png).

Under the 'video' tab, set the max frame rate to '1200000000 [2.00 min]'.

I have been displaying a radar image (.gif) that is updated every 5 minutes as a cam like this for about 3 years now.
The address is 'radblast.wunderground.com' and the video path is '/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=GWX'

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can type into your browser the URL in your screenshot (http://yadaya.com/graphs.blahblah.png) and up pops the image, it should work with BI.
If not, check the address after 'http://' (yadaya.com) and check the 'video path' (/graphs/blahblah.png).

I have been displaying a radar image (.gif) that is updated every 5 minutes as a cam like this for about 3 years now.
The address is 'radblast.wunderground.com' and the video path is '/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=GWX'
Can you post a screen grab of your set up screen for that or give some more details? Just plugging in the URL and path as above doesn't seem to animate or update. I have to reload in order to get it to refresh.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you post a screen grab of your set up screen for that or give some more details? Just plugging in the URL and path as above doesn't seem to animate or update. I have to reload in order to get it to refresh.
My image is static, refreshed by the hosting server every 5 minutes, refreshed as a BI camera also at that interval but no sooner than the max frame rate (2 minutes). If you're trying to have an animated GIF image as a cam in BI I think it will display as static and will change only if the server hosting the image refreshes/updates the image.

FYI, the 'GWX' at the end of the path is the 3 letter code for the weather radar in Columbus, MS.

Here are screenshots of mine:

radar_config2.jpg

radar_frame-rate.jpg

Resulting camera image:

radar_as_BI-cam.jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
My image is static, refreshed by the hosting server every 5 minutes, refreshed as a BI camera also at that interval but no sooner than the max frame rate (2 minutes). If you're trying to have an animated GIF image as a cam in BI I think it will display as static and will change only if the server hosting the image refreshes/updates the image.

FYI, the 'GWX' at the end of the path is the 3 letter code for the weather radar in Columbus, MS.
Thanks. That's the same as what I had. Not sure why it wasn't updating last night but does appear to this morning.

Migel

n3wb
Reaction score
My problem was that the image URL was going stale on me. I went to the web site that caused the image to be generated but then it went stale and stopped serving. I can't use that web site image for what I wanted to. Thanks.

Reaction score
Anybody still have this idea working?

When I try this today (BI 5) with a static JPG image... it appears to refresh it every 3 seconds (even though I set it to 2.00 min as you specified), and because of that, BI finds that it doesn't change, and gives me the "No Signal" image. Thoughts?

Here are screenshots of mine:

View attachment 25395

View attachment 25396

Resulting camera image:

View attachment 25397

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anybody still have this idea working?

When I try this today (BI 5) with a static JPG image... it appears to refresh it every 3 seconds (even though I set it to 2.00 min as you specified), and because of that, BI finds that it doesn't change, and gives me the "No Signal" image. Thoughts?
I just setup the radar camera using this tutorial and another I found online and got it working. The only way have I have been able to get the No Signal issue resolved is by unchecking the "Detect loss of signal" option. The overlay still shows that it is updating every 2 minutes, but the jpeg itself is only updating at the quarter-hour marks.

1622053197801.png