Purchased new camera but not able to configure it...

auato

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi to everybody,

I am newbie on these topics but few days ago I bought a chinese IPcam.
It seems all to run well but and I am able to look clearly the videostream either by my PC/Mac or my mobile devices .
Of course, it runs only by "SYSM Monitor" found on the intallation CD-ROM or by installing plug2view.apk on Android devices.
As I'm interested to use this camera also my Qnap SS over my home LAN I tryed to configure the camera without success. QNAP SS tries to detect by uPNP and by ONVIF with no successor maybe does not reach the camera ip address at all). The strange thing is that I am able to ping it but trying by an internet browser I am not able to access it.
The port used seems to be #5000 (not modifiable).

Tryed everithing:

-used unsuccesfully some scanning/discovery tools (both for mobile devices or for PC) to discover the right port but all these SW are not able to recognize the Cam (only Android "Evercam Discovery" finds a unknown device manufactured by Sperian Protection Intrumentation even though all other parameters are not recognized as well as the hardware is not recognized like a IPCam)
-trying to change the ip address and even using the DHCP

Any suggest/support will be much appreciated!

Thank you

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...This looks like the standard foscam clone...try using presets for foscam and wanscam to see of any of those work...This is one of the problems with buying cheap no name cameras, aside from the poor image.
You can use a mobile app like fing to see what ports are being used (scan services)...
ipcamviewer by robert chou (android/ios) also has a great scanning tool...

auato

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman.
Fings is beautiful!!
Unfortunately it did not help me to understand something more on my mysterious IP CAM. As Evercam Discovery has already done, it has recognized the device like a Sperian Protection Instrumentation (but as a generic device not as a IP camera) with the only Telnet service active (hence using the port 23). Trying to connect by telnet protocol it asks me the login credentials but those ones labeled on the device are not able to garant the access.
Using Advanced Port Scanning running under Windows:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried using foscam, wanscam, wansview? for the stream?

auato

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, tried fonscam and wansview (wanscam is not present in QNAP SS list) with no success. Anyway they are all similar in the Qnap list... all use the port 80 and I have to set only the ip address. Some oh them also uses a variable RTSP port for the video streaming. What are the right port for RTSP in the fonscam and wanscam/wansview?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of even the cheap Chinese IP cameras support ONVIF - did the product description say ONVIF compliant?
Worth trying is the Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?251-Onvif-Device-Manager-v2-2-250&highlight=onvif+device+manager
It provides a wealth on info on ONVIF devices, including the 'ONVIF port' in the URI at the bottom of the 'Identification' page which you would need for the 'Port = ' camera setting in Surveillance Station for 'ONVIF/ONVIF ProfileS', and also the RTSP port and string that you would need if using 'Generic RTSP' in Surveillance Station.

auato

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you @alastairstevenson, also ONVIF Device Manager doesn't recognize the device. On the packeage there is no mention about ONVIF compatibility. This camera looks like a completely "closed device". Its software in the android market is called "p2pcamviewer" by Yibo Chen.
Anyway this camera was sold for € 40.00, and is pretty good for my expectations but I would like to use my cams along with my Qnap S.S., so do you think it is a good idea to sell this device and buy another one?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, for about half that price you can buy plenty of non-PT 720p fixed cameras that give pretty good image quality (a lot of commonality in the sensors and processors) and are ONVIF compatible to a variable extent.
That gives you a fair chance of being able to connect an unsupported camera to something like QNAP SS using ONVIF or even a Generic RTSP connection. There is an implication with ONVIF of a basic capability using common standards.
My cheapest 720p camera was a Vanxse B-811, 15GBP off Aliexpress, very good image quality. Though I've now moved up from 720p to Hikvision 3MP cameras.
You'd add a bit more to the price with the P/T capability if you need that, Dericam, Wanscam etc etc but the same comments about ONVIF apply.