Purchasing Dahua from Amazon Vs EmpireTech: Firmware Updates

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wondering if there are any differences between purchasing Dahuas from the amazon website vs buying from Andy directly (aside from the IPCT discount price)? Specifically, I'm wondering if there is any difference in receiving future firmware updates. I presume if I buy from both routes I'd still be able to get the firmware updates from the Dahua international site? Or should I be talking directly to Andy to receive the updates?

Thanks!

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
If you buying from Amazon, buy from Andy's Amazon Store
This will ensure you won't have issues with firmware.
Latest firmware updates are available on IPCT, via Andy's Vendor thread.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Buy through Andy, then you don't have to be concerned with getting a Chinese Region hacked cam.
If a person is isolating their cameras from the internet as recommended in many places here - why does it matter if they are using cheap Chinese cameras ?
That is - if they can still upgrade the firmware.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If a person is isolating their cameras from the internet as recommended in many places here - why does it matter if they are using cheap Chinese cameras ?
That is - if they can still upgrade the firmware.
They are not upgradable, they are made for the Chinese region markets, thus cheaper parts.
The firmware is hacked to the language of choice.
If you want to use one of them with a Dahua NVR, your out of luck, they will lock them out.
It's not worth the hassle when we have a legitimate source for the solid International Models.
If you haven't, study this on a real computer: Cliff Notes

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Another reason against using chinese market dahua cameras is that you won't get any support from the seller, and very little support on the forum. Also, if low light and night images are important, you won't find chinese market startlight models. I use 2 models of chinese market cameras, and have found no particular quality or reliability issues with them. All of mine are bullet form factor and they do have lower end mounting bases than a couple of international market bullets I also have. I see it as just a tradeoff between price and how much risk and hassle you want to accept. Compared to a few years ago, the price gap between the chinese market and international market cameras has narrowed, and dahua has restricted the chinese market cameras in the nvr firmware. These changes have moved me from preferring the chinese cameras to the international cameras for my own use. Do your best to learn the issues before making the decision.

For buying from Andy, if you have a paypal account, here's what's easiest for me:
- Send a forum private message to andy to get a quote for what you want, ask if it's in stock
- If you like the quote, send him your paypal account name
- Andy will send a paypal invoice
- Pay the invoice
- If the cameras are in stock you will have them in a few days (unless dhl messes it up, which they occasionally do)

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
If you buying from Amazon, buy from Andy's Amazon Store
This will ensure you won't have issues with firmware.
Latest firmware updates are available on IPCT, via Andy's Vendor thread.
Thanks, yes, what I meant was buying from Andy directly vs buying for Andy's amazon store. Also, is there any US customs risk with the DHL shipments? I understand that the US government has blacklisted both Dahua and Hikvision for government use, and I hope it doesn't spill over to general consumers. (From this angle, I was thinking andy's amazon store would be safer with faster prime shipping).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
IMHO it is cheaper to by from Andy's website. I bought a camera through Amazon(Andy) and paid a little more for it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I buy mostly from his Amazon store now because DHL doesn't deliver in my area (they forward through the USPS which is slow!). The small increase in price is justified. Amazon takes quite a cut if I understand correctly, so he's probably making significantly less profit on each sale there. But we sure appreciate the option.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a couple of cameras from andy this last week via dhl with no issues. The invoice lists them as "Web camera" and "for private use".

Is shipping to USA different when buying from the amazon site?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is shipping to USA different when buying from the amazon site?
Certainly, if you get one that is fulfilled by Amazon (located at one of Amazon's warehouses already). Otherwise, I think they all still come from China by DHL. Andy may have a location in the USA now, though... you'd have to ask him.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased directly from him via messaging him on the forums. Why give a third party a cut for no gain from my point of view is the way I thought about it.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, is there any US customs risk with the DHL shipments? I understand that the US government has blacklisted both Dahua and Hikvision for government use, and I hope it doesn't spill over to general consumers. (From this angle, I was thinking andy's amazon store would be safer with faster prime shipping).
No problems going through US customs if shipped internationally through DHL. Although like you noted, if it’s Amazon Prime, you’ll get it a day or two faster.