Purpose of mounting a camera in the front door.

bmac6996

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to figure out the best placement for a camera in the front door. This got me thinking regarding the purpose.

I want to see who is coming to deliver my packages, who's walking by and through the front of the house and identify who's at the door.

The best angle to get people's faces is at face level which means it's not very hidden and can be subject to vandalism and scrutiny.

Thoughts how people decided on placement of a camera in the front? Is it too intrusive/unfriendly if you stick a camera right in their face at the front door?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ended up installing my front door camera at the top left corner of the door. Its a dahua starlight turret. So it's obvious that its there, and probably a little intrusive, but I know who's coming to the front door.
I was kind of worried about how it would look there, and so it was the last camera I installed, but I think it's ok.

Some of my neighbors have cameras too, and they usually try to install them in a more out of the way location, like up higher. But then I look at their cameras and know they are taking pictures of the tops of peoples heads.

Randy

votive

n3wb
Reaction score
Good thread as I was thinking about this myself. The only thing I saw was a peep hole cam but they are money.

bmac6996

n3wb
Reaction score
Thinking about function over form. Like having it higher would be out of the way, but all you'll see is tops of head. Having it a big higher than the average human reach might be a good compromise, but would still be noticeable and reachable for vandals.

/shrugs

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if you mount in pairs you get the best of both worlds. One next to the door should be down at about 1.5m (5 feet) high to look under the brim of any hat a visitor might be wearing. Obvious works really well because people look straight at it every time, and that is exactly what you want. I don't worry about vandalism. If someone wants to vandalise the low camera at the front door they have to walk up to it first, and their image is already captured.