purse snatching

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We watched this female as she walked down the street in front of one of our dealerships. It was about 4am so we don't think that this was a normal person walking to work. The neighborhood where this took place is full of hookers all night long and not a great area.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder what she was taking a picture of at 4am an ad or an interesting car. You gotta be aware of your surroundings.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Wonder what she was taking a picture of at 4am an ad or an interesting car. You gotta be aware of your surroundings.
Looks like she was taking a selfie, then the white car drove by and saw her holding her cell phone and decided to take her purse. Also looked like she put her phone in the purse just before they took it.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
PRetty sure the being aware would also include not being a hooker on street at 4 a.m as well just a tip for all of you.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like she was taking a selfie, then the white car drove by and saw her holding her cell phone and decided to take her purse. Also looked like she put her phone in the purse just before they took it.
If it was a selfie she's got a screw loose the flash on the back camera fired. She'd have been better off it she stuck the phone in her pants. Even before smartphones you'd see people walking and texting and literally walking into things and traffic.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What was the guy in the blue shirt at the end doing there? I wish she had a gun and blew away those two fine Irish gentlemen that most likely were brought up in a life of crime.
Kind of looked like he might work at the dealership didn't it.

idk if she had a gun she'd just been fumbling to get it out from the look of things and it probably would have been stolen too, probably a worse outcome. A collapsible baton would have been entertaining. The purse snatchers would have been considerably more menacing if they hadn't had to dedicate one hand to holding their pants up.

I hope she got the license plate, she certainly had a good look at it.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
She's such a white privileged racist. Did you see how hysterical she became before either of those two innocent looking black guys even touched her? Jesus, what's this world coming to?

Reaction score
What was the guy in the blue shirt at the end doing there? I wish she had a gun and blew away those two fine Irish gentlemen that most likely were brought up in a life of crime.
Oh, she had plenty of time to pull a gun out if she had concealed carry. I wouldn't have shot any of them. Usually, just pulling it out is plenty to intimidate. Especially with a nice crimson carry laser sight, green of course.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, the guy in the blue shirt is a member of the facilities department for the dealerships. His team and him were pressure cleaning and detailing cars for a big sale that weekend.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Oh, she had plenty of time to pull a gun out if she had concealed carry. I wouldn't have shot any of them. Usually, just pulling it out is plenty to intimidate. Especially with a nice crimson carry laser sight, green of course.
In our CCW class, they taught us if the threat is real enough to pull the weapon, you use it. Displaying a gun with the intent to cause fear is brandishing a deadly weapon. Ironically, you can be criminally charged for doing what you described. My thought is, if your argument is that you're in fear for your life (multiple assailants running towards you) then deadly force is justified - and withholding that force raises doubt as to whether you really felt death or grave bodily harm was imminent.

I don't want the death of another person on my conscience, but two guys looking like that, charging at me, they get no warning.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In our CCW class, they taught us if the threat is real enough to pull the weapon, you use it. Displaying a gun with the intent to cause fear is brandishing a deadly weapon. Ironically, you can be criminally charged for doing what you described. My thought is, if your argument is that you're in fear for your life (multiple assailants running towards you) then deadly force is justified - and withholding that force raises doubt as to whether you really felt death or grave bodily harm was imminent.

I don't want the death of another person on my conscience, but two guys looking like that, charging at me, they get no warning.
Next day, their moms on TV news.."they were such good boys, they stopped to ask erkme73 for directions, and he shot them in cold blood...We dont understand it.."

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Next day, their moms on TV news.."they were such good boys, they stopped to ask erkme73 for directions, and he shot them in cold blood...We dont understand it.."
No doubt. That's why it's so difficult to use deadly force. But, as they say, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just don't shoot to kill (at least not on the first shot) unless they've drawn a weapon.

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just don't shoot to kill (at least not on the first shot) unless they've drawn a weapon.
There's no winning that game. Then it'll turn out to be a toy gun. Or they were just trying to scare - they weren't really going to shoot. Then the argument will be "Just don't shoot to kill unless they've actually fired in your direction."

I know this is again going OT, but the stand your ground laws in Florida permit deadly force anytime the victim believes their life is at risk. That's such a subjective definition, that it really comes down to the investigating department and the DA whether they agree or not. Waiting for an assailant to make it abundantly clear that he intends to kill you is not a strategy I'd want to take - as by the time you figure that out, it's too late.

For example, if you're a 70+ y/o senior who is approached by a 30-something guy who is foaming at the mouth in anger and throwing things at you, do you wait for him to land the first punch? If so, at your age, such a punch may well be the end of you. Never mind not knowing the skill and training of the assailant. Keep in mind that's exactly what happened to retired TPD officer Curtis in the movie theater. He didn't wait for the escalation to come to blows (though he was hit in the dark with a cup of popcorn). The younger guy was climbing over the seats to engage. His wife was trying to hold him back when Curtis fired a single shot (through the wife's hand) into the guy's chest - killing him.

I'm not particularly fond of the police profession - but after watching the video of that shooting in the theater, I really have to side with Curtis. If he had waited, it may have well have had the opposite outcome.

It's not an easy decision, but choosing to be victimized and letting bad people walk all over defenseless victims is not the answer either.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
He was doing a little night time car shopping.

Reaction score

Likewise, in our CCW class they taught about brandishing. Pulling the weapon, pointing it at the the perp in a situation like this is not brandishing. The last and most important step of this whole process is, to report what you just did to 911 immediately after it happens. By doing this, it prevents the perps from reporting you to the police claiming you pulled a gun on them 'while they were approaching you to ask a question'.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Likewise, in our CCW class they taught about brandishing. Pulling the weapon, pointing it at the the perp in a situation like this is not brandishing. The last and most important step of this whole process is, to report what you just did to 911 immediately after it happens. By doing this, it prevents the perps from reporting you to the police claiming you pulled a gun on them 'while they were approaching you to ask a question'.
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't even play one on TV or the internet. But, from some of the FL criminal defense lawyer websites, the term "improper exhibition" (vs brandishing) is not cut and dry. Many states have a specific exclusion for displaying a firearm in a threatening manner while exercising self-defense. Florida does not. There have been successful defenses against the charge when there was a self-defense claim, but it's not guaranteed. IOW, if you're charged, you have the expense (time & $$) to prove you were justified in displaying your weapon.

If you call to report an incident, you are going on record as having displayed your firearm. Should the assailant claim you threatened him w/o any justification, it becomes a he-said she-said incident - which, without supporting evidence (security camera footage) or witness statements - and if you have a particularly anti-gun DA/prosecutor, you could find that self-report to be a very expensive call.

Again, I don't know what the answer is. But the legal system, IMHO, is too subjective and gray to trust the truth will prevail if you don't have substantial evidence in your favor.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Pulling out a gun to keep someone from attacking you is not brandishing and half the guys who teach CCW classes don't know what they are talking about, take legal advice from a lawyer not a cop, or an academy flunky.