Push notifications have stopped working.

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hopefully I am posting this to the right area. My push notifications have stopped working. I have the most current version of Blue Iris installed on my computer and the most current update from google play for my android app. Android updated yesterday and they seemed to have stopped working after that update but I cannot remember for sure. I did some research and tried a few suggestions but nothing has worked so far. I removed my phone from the mobile devices list and added it back in. When I try to send a test notification it says "Test message sent to 0 devices" so that makes me wonder if the issues is with my phone or with the actual BL software. Anyone else having this problem in the last couple of days? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My BI App has started malfunctioning, just crashes as of the last day but nor sure when it started.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a known issue with the latest update.

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is a known issue with the latest update.
I have not experienced the app crashing or as others have mentioned not being able to view my cameras. All of that works fine. I'm hoping the push notifications are part of the known issue and will be resolved soon. Thank you!

no3grover

n3wb
Reaction score
Same issue observed above with Push Notifications to Android. Testing a push notification indicates sent to 0 devices. Rolled back BI software and did not change, noted that the android software updated 8 hours ago so seems likely related to that, which reading above looks like a known issue. Hope its fixed soon as I rely on Push Notifications for Security Alarm functions. - Thanks

no3grover

n3wb
Reaction score
I just updated the server side to 4.7.6.15 x64 and the push notification alerts are still not working. Testing the push notification under a camera > Alerts > Configure Push Alerts > Test still is showing its sending to 0 devices despite two valid android phones being registered and enabled under mobile devices. No changes to any config, devices, alerts or otherwise on my side, only updates to both server and the android apps in the past few days. I tried rolling back the server to multiple previous versions and same behavior, including 4.7.6.12 and 4.7.5.3 as well as a few other versions inbetween.

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, just sent off an e-mail to support reporting it.
Please update me on their response. Just noticed my maintenance / support is expired. I need to renew that but I am also curious as to what they tell you. Thanks!

no3grover

n3wb
Reaction score
While I have not heard from support yet, the Android App update to 2.0.54 is now allowing push notices to the updated app, however it is playing a default alert tone on the phone, rather than the custom audio configured for the alert, so a little progress but still broken.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While I have not heard from support yet, the Android App update to 2.0.54 is now allowing push notices to the updated app, however it is playing a default alert tone on the phone, rather than the custom audio configured for the alert, so a little progress but still broken.
The alert tone is not custom, its limited to the choices provided...the custom alert wav you can add is only for the server.

Last edited:

han0522

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. To be clear, the Alert sound that I set for the camera in the server software under push notifications is no longer playing as the notification sound on my android phone (samsung s8) - two days ago my phone's notification sound for blue iris was the sound that I chose in the blue iris server, and this was specific per camera.

For me the icon for blue iris has also changed in my notification area from the standard blue iris icon for the app shortcut and the windows server shortcut to a generic "camera" and when I got to edit notification settings it has a "Channel Human Readable Title" option that is checked. If this is unchecked I get no notifications. No other app on my phone has this category under notification settings and all of my other app's notifications are working properly.

Looking forward to an update to the app software ..

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I downloaded the app update last night and my push notifications are once again working. While the sound issue is a bit annoying, I can deal with that. As long as I am at least getting notified when one of my cameras detects motion, that's the biggest thing for me. I also noticed the "Channel Human Readable Title" under notification settings. After playing around with it for a bit, I found the way to turn sound on and off for push notifications. So I am pretty much back to having what I need out of the app and server. Thanks for all of the input everyone!

no3grover

n3wb
Reaction score
Same current status as reported above. The android app update to .54 has allowed notifications to be sent, however noted the change on the android side where it is only playing a default alert tone, and not the one configured for the push notification alert on the server (doorbell for example). Also noted the notification icon changed from the BI logo to a small camera icon. Otherwise notifications are being sent, but not playing the correct configured alert notification tone. I heard back from support and have provided them the update as above. Hopefully another update will address the above alert sound issues. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Same current status as reported above. The android app update to .54 has allowed notifications to be sent, however noted the change on the android side where it is only playing a default alert tone, and not the one configured for the push notification alert on the server (doorbell for example). Also noted the notification icon changed from the BI logo to a small camera icon. Otherwise notifications are being sent, but not playing the correct configured alert notification tone. I heard back from support and have provided them the update as above. Hopefully another update will address the above alert sound issues. Thanks
.55 has fixed this.

no3grover

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I can confirm that .55 has restored the custom alert sound function and seems to be back to a normal working state. Thanks or the update and thanks to Developers for the fixes.

The auto-backup and version history files on the server update have been great, however in this case the Android updates do not have an easy ability to roll back a version. I've disabled auto-updates in the google play store, but this would not stop a breaking fix from being applied with no ability to roll it back on the android side. Let me know if anyone has a suggestion or better way to handle that, other than to delay updates by a few weeks and let others find issues first?

Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I can confirm that .55 has restored the custom alert sound function and seems to be back to a normal working state. Thanks or the update and thanks to Developers for the fixes.

The auto-backup and version history files on the server update have been great, however in this case the Android updates do not have an easy ability to roll back a version. I've disabled auto-updates in the google play store, but this would not stop a breaking fix from being applied with no ability to roll it back on the android side. Let me know if anyone has a suggestion or better way to handle that, other than to delay updates by a few weeks and let others find issues first?

Thanks again.
wait a week...I have never seen a BI issue take more than a few days to resolve, usually within a few hours....unfortunately there are many that suffer with update ocd and cant wait. Issues are rare so even it happens every once in a while you will survive...

Last edited: