Push notifications with gdmss plus stops working after a while

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,
I am playing around with the push notifications. I like them, they are much better to handle than emails for events.
But unfortunately it stops working after a short while. That means i get no ones any more, till i reopen the app. And i don´t have to leave the app (keep it in background)

I think this is an android power management problem. My One Plus 3T (Android 7) is able top stop apps, which are using to much power. This is a fine option, and here comes my problem.

For my knowledge, android push notifications don´t needs a running app. But with the dahua gdmss plus it only works when the app is running in background mode!
I see it, because the start up time of the app is after a few hours as long as I reboot the device.

Is that an app code / designing bug or is my understanding of the android push service wrong?

Does someone use it with idmss plus? Because i need it for a door cam and an iphone in the future.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I only use the push feature when im out of town at family's, but Ive left it running all week long and never had an issue.. but my Androids are 6.x still

DMSS is not using anything in any way related to Android Push; Features of Dahua's Push are not compatible w/Android's.. It wouldent be able to open a closed app, have it connect to your NVR and automatically start playing the video; let alone do that in a timely manner.. The App is basically subscribing directly to the NVR's Event Feed through a persistent connection.. Realize this is a cross platform solution, they cant lock them selves into Android's built in functionality, or there gonna have problems with iOS, and then your NVR's gonna need a firmware update when Android/iOS change things on the next release or it'll forever be broken.

If the app is being forced to sleep then its going to cause problems.. yeah it'd be nice if the app could be closed and u still get push notifications; but thats not how this works.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Either I misunderstand, or my experience is completely different.
Phone: LG-K330
Android ver 5.1.1
S/W vers K33010j
gDMSS Plus ver 3.44.002

I just did this test:
- re-booted phone
- Did not launch any apps
- I caused an event by walking across a trip wire
- I received a Push Notification on my phone. (alert tone)
- when I went to view the video of the event, gDMSS launched. (it wasn't actively running)

it'd be nice if the app could be closed and u still get push notifications;
In my case the app is closed.
Though it may have an associated process running in the background, which I don't know about.

TVT73:
I don't experience push notifications stopping.

Fastb

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
in my setup i use p2p. but i also tried a local ip. it happens on both.
one plus uses stock Android 7.0. stricktly standby is off for all apps but the energy option apps with high power drain automatic close is active and the only closed app is gDMSS... is of sure this app.

If gdmss is running can only be seen with a process explorer maybe?
Today gdmss uses only 6% of power. I will try tomorrow with activ.

The explanation of nayr is logical. I don´t know enough of androids push settings. Maybe is here someone with android internal skills ?

Screenshot_20170209-222923.png

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem still exists, although i disabled auto killing of background apps with high power consumption. I am still not sure if it has to do with closing app when using back or closing with home button, what i normally use. Anyway I can´t see a much higher power drain for this app.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it possible to try with a different phone?
To narrow down where the problem exists, ie: in the phone or in the NVR?

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an ipad2 here, just installed idmsshd plus. lets see if it here runs longer.
I will try it with an Android 5.1 Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Note Tab.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Fastb is right, app dont need open.. persists after reboot; guess I didnt test it throughougly..

either way Ive had push notifications enabled for over a week now and there still coming in.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HTC M8 running Android 4.2, been meaning to upgrade this thing but I hate wiping my phone heh.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe it´s cause by doze, it´s used since Android 6, i found several issues from apps with broken notifications.

My Samsung 10.1 Tab is on Android 5.1.1. I have it only a few hour on, lets see what tomorrow happens.
On Android 7 it´s around 2-3h till i get no notifications. It´s difficult to say it exactly.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found some settings to it. I will try it. In stock Android 7, or on oneplus3 you need to activate engineering mode and here its possible to deactivate doze. (here Standby-Mode called)
strictly standby is not doze, it´s their own implementation. That´s what i found as tweaks.
How to Disable Doze Mode on the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T

Last edited:

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, it doesn't change anything. I see with the iPad 2 it's working fine, also on my android 5.1 tablet. So it's maybe only a device problem, or upcoming with doze.

@all, is there anyone using it with android 6 or 7?

I think I need to contact Dahua support. Has someone advices how? The in app function seems to be not the best way, because I get no feedback for my last app request (android landscape mode is missing).

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have send to dahua a bug report trough app feedback and over play store. I would really appreciate, that other users can report what is with other devices. If someone have a direct contact support like maybe @EMPIRETECANDY a pn would be nice.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive tried to contact support directly and basically got told to fuckoff; your german vendor would be the best bet.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
with the iPad 2 it's working fine, also on my android 5.1 tablet. So it's maybe only a device problem
Good info. Push notifications work on 2 out of 3 devices for you.
Good luck
Fastb