Push notifications work on 1 camera, not on 2nd - tried everything!

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I'm relatively new to IP cameras and have learned lots while tinkering with my 2 new toys, but I've also come across a road block that I can't clear on my own. I have the following cameras:

DS-2CD2335-I w/ V5.3.3 build 150803 (garage)
DS-2CD2542FWD-IS w/ V5.3.8 build 151224 (backyard)

Both cameras are visible on my web browser and over iVMS-4500 without any problems. I don't have an NVR, but I'm using a 128 gb microSD in my DS-2CD2542FWD-IS to record on intrusion detection which is working well, visible from web browser and iPhone. My problem is push notifications. I have successfully enabled push notifications from my garage camera, but after trying EVERYTHING, I have not succeeded in getting push notifications to work for my backyard camera.

I compared the configuration settings for both cameras and found that the NAT settings for my garage camera were auto populating with random external port settings. I manually changed them to match the correct settings, but with no luck. I read the below in a different forum:

"After hours of troubleshooting it finally works as expected. If you have one Hikvision IP cam you will never run into this problem, but with 3 I had to deal with it because of the port mapping set to automatic. It turns out that if you have the same ports for all your cams (such as server), software automatically generates new ports for you to avoid duplicates. So to fix this, either have different ports for every single cam or set it to Manual. It will say status is "not valid" but it works regardless." http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=6766.0

With that knowledge, I changed to the following:

In this image, the external IP address is 0.0.0.0. Sometimes it shows my actual IP address, but whether it does or not has not allowed me to succeed with push notifications.

Rebooting the camera has not allowed my changes to work either. I've also used canyouseeme.org to confirm that my ports are opened properly and they are.

Does anyone have a hint they could through my way? What am I missing?

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
search push notifications on these forums theres a ton of info.

PN is notoriously flakey.

You don't mention what type of push notifications e.g. I see that you are using intruder but are you expecting PN for intruder?

The only notifications i've ever got working are motion. And even getting those working was flakey and with nothing changed it just started working on one camera.

My Fw versions are 5.2.5 and 5.3.? domes 3mp and 4mp.

As far as ports go I leave the defaults e.g. 8000 and 554 and change the ports at the port forwarding only never on the camera.

e.g.

camera 4 = 8004 port maps to 192.168.1.4 port 8000

camera 6 = 8006 port maps to 192.168.1.6 port 8000

camera 4 554 -> 554
camera 6 556 -> 554

Then on the lan you know its always 8000 and 554 with the static ip address.

Back to PN though ive never got PN working for intruder and line crossing.

Wish it would as Motion PN is a pain in the ass with so many notifications e.g. sun -> shade , tree moving,

I was going to post a query to ask whether subsequent FW releases from 5.2.5 and 5.3.x have fixed or delivered intruder or line crossing notifications.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback tradertim!

I've done ~5 hours of searching on this topic alone, but I can probably try different wording to get some new hits.

It's such a bummer that the push notifications are as flakey as they appear to be :(

I have tried to get PNs for intruder and motion detection, but neither one worked. I am currently getting PNs on the garage camera for intruder detection, so I know that it "should" work.

I had explored motion detection before intruder detection, but the backyard camera is easily fooled by wind and shadows, which caused me to move to intrusion detection which actually has very few false positives and false negatives.

I had changed the ports on the camera itself in response to the quote from the other forum member. I'll probably return to default settings later tonight and try starting over.

Thanks again for the response. I'm very open to any more ideas :)