Qontest: Win a BRAND NEW free 2TB WD Purple Surveillance Drive

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Enter this Qontest to win F*R*E*E* brand new unopened 2TB WD Purple Surveillance Drive

Contest Rules:
  1. You must have at least 100 ipcamtalk.com posts to enter into this contest
  2. You must "Like" this topic for your qontest entry to be eligible
  3. The winner will receive is one (1) brand new free 2TB WD Purple Surveillance Drive (shipping is included)
  4. @tangent will decide who the wins this contest
  5. @tangent and Q are ineligible
  6. This Qontest will be closed and a winner will be decided after fifty (50) different (unique) members have posted to the contest.
To participate in this contest you must submit a post to this topic which answers the following question...

"What good or helpful thing have you done this year?"

Examples:

• "I saved a lost kitten"
  • "I helped a little old lady cross the street"
  • "I went to church"
Let the Qontest begin!

flagwaver.gif

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I helped a guy in a Wheel chair, get into a building today.
Atta boy @mycoma! Not only are you in the lead but Jesus appreciates it too. Tell you what bro...I'm going to send you a free (slightly used; not new) 2TB WD Purple Surveillance Drive, just for being the first to tell us about a good thing you did: PM me your shipping address and I'll send it out USPS 3-Day Priority. And thanks for doing something positive. smiley20.gif

For those of you who only do bad things, do not despair; all you have to do is go out today and do one good thing and tell us about it...then you can go back to being assholes. smiley17.gif

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I go to church each Sunday.
I change a lot of bicycle tires on group rides
I donate blood.
I answer questions on this forum , I have not attempted to kill some members, but I have thought about it.

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
This year, I helped out a family, they didn't speak the local language, they didn't know anything in the neighborhood, they didn't have the right papers to rent a house - so after 6 months of helping administration, they now have a roof above their head and more importantly, access to a social network of think-alike friends! This family is now very happy, and is most visible in the eyes of their kids.

I wish there were more people willing to help out strangers - not all of them are bad!!!

-- edit: and this seems to be my 100st post too on ipcamtalk forum :) Party time!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I clean the whole house and took care of our 4 kids over the weekend including today so my wife doesn't have to lift a finger allowing her to focus on her studies and homework for her college courses.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor is awaiting a kidney transplant. I take her to have dialysis 3 times per week, as she's not able to drive.
Her husband has fallen in his backyard, and I've helped get him back into the house.
Another neighbor has dementia, I go over and check on him when his daughter can't.
I do small repairs for him around the house as needed.
I try to help as many folks as I can on this board everyday....several times I've done so via team-viewer.

Appreciate what you have everyday.

I HATE bragging, and I really struggled to hit post reply.:nervous:

Thanks to @Q for doing these contests.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I HATE bragging, and I really struggled to hit post reply.:nervous:...
It's not bragging, it's what you do...and God bless you for doing it brother.

Me? I started this topic, which will probably cause someone to go forth and do a good deed. Therefore, I did a good deed without actually having to get off my lazy ass and actually do something!

vacation.gif

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I was a few towns out doing some service work, going to lunch at my fav hot dog joint, was parked and out of the truck, a lady was walking up the hill to town and asked me where the local food pantry was, she had a companion with her, at first I pointed her up the street to where it was at one of the local Churches. I then thought she had nothing and asked them If they were hungry, she said yes so I brought them into the hot dog joint and told them anything they wanted for lunch was on me. They ended up with a $20 tab and I gladly paid it and took mine on the go.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Q,

I'm handy, and have experience with home repair, electronics, wiring, etc. There are older folks nearby who use the NextDoor web site to ask for recommendations and help. The folks I reach out to are elderly, with limited finances. They need help with simple things. Things that would be expensive to call an electrician or contractor. I help with their small projects:
- lamp rewiring
- ceiling fan vibration problem
- rats in crawlspace,
- dead outlets (due to failed GFCI unit)
- replace a failed dimmer wall switch
- Door replacement
- faucet replacement
- Ring doorbell installation (Her daughter bought the unit believing "Mom" needed it)
- Finished basement kitchen so an elderly woman could add a tenant, to help her pay taxes in the super-heated Seattle RE market & rising taxes.
- replacing a '70's cooktop with something modern (that she bought used)

I do this 'cuz I'm semi-retired, & have the tools, skills, and time.
Honestly, I do this for selfish reasons. Eg: the ultra-genuine appreciation received from these clients. It warms my heart.
In contrast to gigs for folks too busy to do their project themselves. They're too important, so they shop for grunts to do something on the cheap.

I was reported for doing electrical work without an electrical contractor's license. For a licensed electrician simply show up costs $125. Then the billable clock start ticking. eg: I replaced a failed bath fan timer for $50 (which included buying the replacement) for a retired woman. For an electrician, if she could find one interested in such a small project, would have been $200+ (including a mark-up on the fan timer).

Am I helping others? Maybe.
Honestly, I do it for selfish reasons. I want to feel appreciated. I like having fans. Tho I say "Don't sign my praises on NextDoor, since I could get in trouble for undercutting licensed electricians and handymen."
Note: I'm an EE, and know wiring code. My many projects (home, 3 rentals) were permitted, inspected, and passed inspections. So my recent simple electrical projects were done safely, and to code.

I joined your Qtest late. I have a week's worth of storage on my Dahua NVR single HDD. Maybe others need the HDD more than me. Maybe that's my selfless side talking.

Here's a link to what my security cam caught recently:
Maybe I'm helping deer and coyotes also? To survive in Seattlel, that is always getting denser and more in-built.

Q, thanks for this contest. "Helping Others" is something that should be elevated, lauded, and rewarded. Kudos to you, sir!

Regards,
Fastb

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep the house, reasonably, clean, set up dinner and lunch daily, cook dinner quite often as well, walk the dog every day (I'm retired and the wife still works) and help any neighbor that asks. I recently helped a neighbor with a video and stills of someone rifling his mailbox. My one neighbors wife got a knee transplant the other day so this weekend I'm going to get them some prepared foods so they don't have to worry about cooking, just heat and eat.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any time I come across a spider in the house - and it's the season for these just now - I trick it into a jug and put it outside so it too can appreciate the Great Outdoors just as I do. It's good to imagine what they say to their mates about the great deity that transported them from the desert to a land of plenty.