Q's New Kit

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Q'sKit.jpg I may be an amateur...but I've got some good tools to fuQ the job up with.

Last edited:

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What it will look like after a couple thousand terminations... This is mine :) Good Choice... Best crimps on the market.

WP_20151219_17_23_44_Pro.jpg

Still using a Fluke DTX-1800 tester... I know it's discontinued...

What kit is this? Link to buy? It looks good as a recommendation for people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought all of the pieces separately on Amazon and the case at Home Depot. The 550 Paracord is my add; I had a hard time deciding on orange or black. ;-)

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought all of the pieces separately on Amazon and the case at Home Depot. The 550 Paracord is my add; I had a hard time deciding on orange or black. ;-)
The clear really "odd shaped" crystal case containing cheap cat 5e RJ45 thin one piece connectors and a single Keystone jack? And a cheap one use stripper? Did you find that case in one of your bed room drawers? Q-sitck? :) Sorry, couldn't resist... LMAO...

It's a good setup. The Crimps is all you need, you can adjust the built I strippers and with a little practice 1 tool does all...

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Frankly, it does not matter to me if you like my new kit. I'm going going to put my new kit on the night table on my side of the bed so that, when I wake up tomorrow morning, it will be the first thing I see and the sight of it give me a warm and happy feeling to start my day with. dog03.gif

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I too would keep it on the night stand next to me

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
where's da punchdown tool?

last time I got a nice case to hold about $80 worth of Anderson Powerpole connectors/crimps/tools.. then I lost the case, still havent found it damnit.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That's the problem with shiny new kit- it tends to grow legs faster than the dirty banged up boxes that've been around a while.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same thing I use, it oddly gets some hate around here, dunno why.
simple, anything that requires a special crimper and special crimps is for chumps.. I cant go to the LHS, Microcenter, Bestbuy, and pickup some more when time is money.

as long as you pay attention its no big deal to do it with standard tools/crimps.. I used to give lessons ad-hoc to a handfull of volunteers before setting up a big (200ppl) weekend lan party.. and ppl w/zero experience could get to a high 90% success rate after a few practice trys using the cheapest tools I could buy in bulk... then we'd rip it all up, toss it out and rebuild it again 3 months later... for nearly 10 years solid heh.

Its like having a manual car vs automatic.. one is for drivers, the other is for the driven :p

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
simple, anything that requires a special crimper and special crimps is for chumps.. I cant go to the LHS, Microcenter, Bestbuy, and pickup some more when time is money.

as long as you pay attention its no big deal to do it with standard tools/crimps.. I used to give lessons ad-hoc to a handfull of volunteers before setting up a big (200ppl) weekend lan party.. and ppl w/zero experience could get to a high 90% success rate after a few practice trys using the cheapest tools I could buy in bulk... then we'd rip it all up and rebuild it again 3 months later... for nearly 10 years solid heh.

Its like having a manual car vs automatic.. one is for drivers, the other is for the driven :p
it's all preference, the guy who had a bunch of huisun cameras liked them fine, most other people turned their nose up. If you keep plenty of connectors around you won't have a problem, you don't wait til a hurricane shows up to stock up on food, you don't wait for the shit to hit the fan before you stock up on ammo, and it's really not a big deal to keep a cheapo crimper around in case you run out of the ez connectors. just because people like to use different stuff than you do is no reason to call them chumps, you use what you like, we will use what we like, my crimps are just as good as yours 100% of the time, i'm not sure how you can balk at that and compare it to a 90% success rate. :p just being a hater.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont see a problem with using the EZ gear...In fact I would recommend it for most folks, it would avoid 25% of all issues and stress...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I use the ez-rj45 crimper (Platinum Tools), but I use Ubiquiti ToughCable and ToughCable connectors because half the time when I build a cable I am wiring up an outdoor Ubiquiti radio...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The EZ-RJ45 is great for idiot proof connections on the top of a ladder.

All you really have to do to get a good crimp fast with basic tools is:
-strip the jacket, then push with your fingernail to check by feel that you didn't nick any wires
-fan the pairs out orange to the left, brown to the right, blue up, green down
-snip the spline
-untwist and straighten but don't over do it
-align wires firmly, pinch / shape between your fingers
-cut to right length with diagonal cutters
-push connector on, verify wire order and insertion depth and crimp

Last edited: