Question about BI4 vs BI5

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have an older system running on an AMD and overloading it that I plan to setup on an i7 system that should work out better. I've had this system up and running for a fairly long time now (about 4 years) and it's running BI 4.x.

So I have two options right now - move my license to this newer system or move to BI 5.

What I don't know is if BI5 is currently in a good state where it performs better than BI 4 and if it's worth moving to yet? I love BI in general, so I'm not looking to move to a different platform, my options are just stick with BI4 or do a fresh install of BI5 on a fresh install of Win10.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There were (and maybe still a few small teething issues), but AFAIK all can be fixed/overcome now. So in general I feel BI5 is production ready.

I switched my BI4 instance to BI5 around 6 weeks ago now, and it's been fine. Granted, don't just take my word for it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bit the bullet yesterday and installed BI5.
It still has some teething issue's.
Be sure to read the upgrade guide posted here.
On my pc, I7-7700, it runs almost exactly the same as 4 did as far as resources.
Running as a service only, actually use's a little more CPU, than 4 used. 7% vs 3-4%.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I went ahead and bit the bullet and bough Bi5 to donate to the school I work for. Put it on a i7 3770 and it's working fairly well so far, I've got >700mpix/s and only using 35% cpu with remote desktop open, so it's a lot better than the AMD system I had (this many pushed it w/ bi4 to pin at 100% making the system unusable)