Question About Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE, N45DJ62, NVR, and Indoor Cams

mrmartymar

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to add cameras to my new home.
I have CAT5e cables planned for POE cams already run to 2 locations at the front of my house and 2 locations in the back all 4 under soffits.
The front faces the not too busy street.
I also plan to get a few cameras for inside the house.

After some research, it seems like recommendations are for turrets over domes, 1/1.8" large sensors, and medium MP for low light viewing such as 4MP instead of 8MP.
This has led me to the IPC-T5442T-ZE which I see on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-IPC-T5442T-ZE-Vari-Focal-Eyeball-Starlight/dp/B08LCY27TD/ref=sr_1_2?m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1624331495&redirect=true&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2

I am looking for general clear view of my front and back yards in both day and night 24/7 recording.
Goals are general surveillance and smart notifications so I am not alerted to moving trees. Reading license plates in the front would be a good bonus, but if it would cost a lot more it is not required.
1. Would you agree this specific camera would be a good fit for my situation or is there another model at this price or lower that you would think is better?
I also saw the Dahua N45DJ62 that seems to be similar to this 5442 model, but the N45DJ62 seems to have a fixed 2.8mm focal length.
I considered turrets for the back and then maybe bullets for the front, but I'm not sure if that would be better or not than all 4 being the same turrets.

2. What NVR would you suggest? Should it be a Dahua NVR to match these cameras? If so, which model?
I was thinking 8 channel so I can connect the 4 outside cams and have room for up to 4 inside the house.
I don't think I want to go down the Blue Iris route, but I did just order hardware to setup a QNAP NAS which includes QVR Pro/Surveillance Station if that would be better than a dedicated NVR.

3. What indoor camera models do you suggest?
My ethernet jacks are only behind a few high tv mount locations. None at the baseboards around ankle height around the house. For this reason, would you suggest wifi indoor cams instead of POE?
I read in the CliffsNotes thread about the Amcrest IP4M-1051B and Hikvision/Annke 151DR. Would one of those be best for this situation?

Thank You in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, I am pretty new here but I have received really good advice from the members here. I would start by reading the cliff notes a second time, there is sound advice to be found there;

The 5442 is a great camera and seems to be the standard go to ip camera currently for many members. The 5442 is available in fixed lenses, 2.8, 3.6, and 6 mm as well as the varifocal you linked above. The N45DJ62 is the U.S. version of the same camera as the 5442. There may be minor differences, you would have to compare the spec sheets side by side.

I would run Blue Iris Software instead of a NVR.

When I came here I intended to buy Hikvision cameras and and a HIK NVR, based on what I learned I went with Dahua (Empire Tech) and Blue Iris. I am happy with what I have. Others with more expertise will be along shortly.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow Texan.

Turrets vs bullets for outside. Good question. From my stand point I like the less obvious look of the turrets. As far as the functionality of the same model series, most bullets do not have a built in mic but most turrets do, specifically the 5442 series follows that rule. So if built in audio is important to you, then the turret is what you will want. However, if you want audio but prefer a bullet, then there is a wired connection for a separate mic on most bullets and the 5442 bullets have those. There is a slightly better video performance bump for the bullet as shown in the spec sheets. But it is so small that I doubt if that would be noticed. I have mostly turrets outside but do have three bullets. One for the overview of my intersection and two for LPR.

The N45DJ62 is a NA version only. I doubt that you can get that at a good price without going through an installer. Dahua does not sell directly to the public.

I started out using the predecessor to QVR Pro/Surveillance Station on my QNAP NAS when I first started in 2018. But after a few months it was apparent that the QNAP software was not cutting it, and the Surveillance Station licensing was cost prohibitive for me. So I took the plunge and got a Win 10 PC and BI and have been very happy with that decision. However, there are some folks here that run the NAS software, either on QNAP or Synology units, and like it.

If you go the NVR route, then it is really important to stick with all one brand of cam and match it to the brand of the NVR. While folks have had success in connecting other brands to an NVR, there have been a lot of folks that have had a lot of trouble doing that, even with cams that are OEM'd from the same manufacturer.

Indoors I have mostly domes.

All of my cams are Dahua purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY .

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The Amazon link you put up would definitely be one good choice. It's a varifocal turret with Audio as Samplenhold indicated. Folks on here routinely catch license plates with the 5442E- Z4E. It's lens is 8mm-32mm where as the turret is 2.7mm-12mm, so it can detect in a different range of distance. I have 5442 2.8mm fixed and just bought the 6mm version for the rear p. lot I think the 2.8 is too wide where I have it. But it stays in color at night with my current outdoor lighting. Heres the 5442 2.8 turret over the top of a 5241E-z12E bullet. takes two to tango in night plate reading and identifying.... Dodge Chevy Honda etc.,

Attachments