Question about disaster recovery

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just completed my installation of Blue Iris to replace the NAS that formerly controlled my IP cameras. Thanks to this forum, the installation went smoothly, and BI is running well.

So now that it's up and running, I've got a question about disaster recovery that I haven't seen addressed in the reading I've done. If it has been discussed, please forgive me.

Anyway, I've got a clone of my SSD, which has the OS, BI installation, and the DB and NEW folders. I have a purple drive with the STORED folder for once they get moved out of the NEW folder. In the event that I have to replace a failed system drive with my clone, how do I get the BI installation on the clone drive to recognize the clip files that were created after the clone was made? Will BI see those files and rebuild the clip list automatically? Or will I need to backup the database regularly, and restore the DB in order to use those clips?

And finally, if I have to back up the database, can I simply copy the files in the DB folder, and can this be done when the BI service is running?

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just completed my installation of Blue Iris to replace the NAS that formerly controlled my IP cameras. Thanks to this forum, the installation went smoothly, and BI is running well.

So now that it's up and running, I've got a question about disaster recovery that I haven't seen addressed in the reading I've done. If it has been discussed, please forgive me.

Anyway, I've got a clone of my SSD, which has the OS, BI installation, and the DB and NEW folders. I have a purple drive with the STORED folder for once they get moved out of the NEW folder. In the event that I have to replace a failed system drive with my clone, how do I get the BI installation on the clone drive to recognize the clip files that were created after the clone was made? Will BI see those files and rebuild the clip list automatically? Or will I need to backup the database regularly, and restore the DB in order to use those clips?

And finally, if I have to back up the database, can I simply copy the files in the DB folder, and can this be done when the BI service is running?

Thanks in advance.
all you need to do is rebuild the database, as long as the clips and archiving tab points to the proper folders you wont have any problems. Simply export all settings using the about tab. You can record directly to the hdd, no reason to record to the ssd then move them.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!
Just as I was reading your reply, I found a reference to rebuilding the database in the BI help. Between what you wrote and that reference, I think I get it now.

I was aware that I could write directly to purple drive, and not move the files. I chose to write to the NEW folder on the SSD thinking that the clips most likely to be reviewed would be newer clips, and that performance might be better if those were still on the SSD. However, there is a definite advantage to writing all the files straight to the purple drive...I'd never lose any if the system drive crashed! I'll probably wind up configuring it that way for that reason.

Thanks again for the reply!!