Question about features of Blue Iris

nikki

n3wb
Reaction score
I hope there is no problem if i ask you some questions about the possibilities of blue iris.

I have a IP Cam . i want that my client is able to watch the whole day in about 20 minutes. So he has a clear view about the things which happened at the day. So maybe Blue Iris can help there for a comfortable replay of the day recorded video material.

Is this possible without a constant powered computer?
(i know how to configure my cam so that it stores the videos automaticly on google drive and on its own hard disk...)

maybe you can give some tips :D

have a good day!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope there is no problem if i ask you some questions about the possibilities of blue iris.

I have a IP Cam . i want that my client is able to watch the whole day in about 20 minutes. So he has a clear view about the things which happened at the day. So maybe Blue Iris can help there for a comfortable replay of the day recorded video material.

(i know how to configure my cam so that it stores the videos automaticly on google drive and on its own hard disk...)

have a good day!!
Welcome to the forum. What camera are you using? If you are recording to the camera or google drive you dont need blue iris to review video. (unless you want other functions). Simply download the video and play it at high speed in VLC.

nikki

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your good answer.
Yes you are right normally it is enough to watch it in VLC and speed it up.

But my client want's it more comfortable .. he has a business to care of.. and doesnt know much about Computer stuff. Maybe it is more comfortable for him with blue iris..?
He also wants to install more cams later...

It's a Digitus DN 16046 IP Camera (maybe a german company)

Soon i will find out the right URL .. so i can test it with Blue Iris..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your good answer.
Yes you are right normally it is enough to watch it in VLC and speed it up.

But my client want's it more comfortable .. he has a business to care of.. and doesnt know much about Computer stuff. Maybe it is more comfortable for him with blue iris..?
He also wants to install more cams later...

It's a Digitus DN 16046 IP Camera (maybe a german company)

Soon i will find out the right URL .. so i can test it with Blue Iris..
If he wants to use blue iris he will need to dedicate a pc to this so blue iris can record the footage.

nikki

n3wb
Reaction score
i think he has a laptop .. and needs quick access to the datas in the evening...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
He might not have good success using a laptop as a Blue Iris NVR. Lots of CPU power needed and heat generated. I used an HP Intel i7 17" "desktop replacement" laptop as a Blue Iris NVR for a while. Enough CPU to run two 1.3MP cams with no troubles but cumulative heat buildup would cause thermal shutdown every 2 days or so. Something like Milestone Xprotect Go might be a better laptop solution. If it works and he likes it and needs more than the 5 days of storage the free "Go" version allows they have other paid versions with more features and fewer limitations.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not saying BI definitely won't work, but you should have a testing period and possible longer term issues. With just one cam and saving direct to disk to save on CPU/heat you might be ok but I expect some laptops might even have trouble with that for the longer term.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the laptop and the load .. .. I have a laptop running for years.. It's a second generation i3 Sandy bridge, recording two1.3 mp dahua cams and one 2mp dahua camera..

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It depends on the laptop and the load .. .. I have a laptop running for years.. It's a second generation i3 Sandy bridge, recording two1.3 mp dahua cams and one 2mp dahua camera..
Good example. Apparently that one handles long term heat better than my i7 even though (and probably because) it is less powerful. Were you doing direct to disk recording?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good example. Apparently that one handles long term heat better than my i7 even though (and probably because) it is less powerful. Were you doing direct to disk recording?

I think initially it was not direct to disk because that option was not yet introduced though I cant recall specifically. It was never under any tremendous load. Was your laptop first gen i7? those ran hot. Did it have a dedicated graphics card? Also some laptops have heat issues in general due to bad design. I picked that unit up from lenovo outlet refurbished for 225 or 250 a few months after sandy bridge was introduced and it runs like a champ. Though I generally dont recommend laptops for blue iris because they cannot be set to reboot after power loss among other reasons.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, first gen i7 with discrete graphics. It runs toasty even though it's meant to be a workhorse.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score

have a good day!!
I would suggest he get a small cheap BI PC and then the BI APP, set BI to record 24/7. Help him set up aggressive alerts and how to view via app, also set up email storage of alerts to an email account..