Question about IP Cams with micro SD card onboard storage - Is it necessary?

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran a search, but didn't find an answer. For the IP cams that have onboard memory storage via a micro SD card, why would you want to use that if you are already recording with an NVR or PC? Is it just as a backup in case the NVR / PC go down, or does it provide some other benefit? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran a search, but didn't find an answer. For the IP cams that have onboard memory storage via a micro SD card, why would you want to use that if you are already recording with an NVR or PC? Is it just as a backup in case the NVR / PC go down, or does it provide some other benefit? Thanks.
backup

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NVR's that support ANR will retrieve any missing footage from the cameras memory after an outage; this allows you to update firmware or take hardware down for maintenance late at night w/out worrying about missing something.

Murphy's a bitch, I bought a new HDD a while back and went to go install it at 1am.. while I have the NVR disassembled and in my lap I get a notification my mailbox was opened and looked at my display to see someone trying to steal mail.. I chase em off and come back and realize nothing got recorded, then I ordered a bunch of memory cards and started putting em in every camera.

With 265 I can get ~4 days constant on a 128G card, not bad for primary cameras as a backup.. but I typically put 32G cards in and just the last day is really all I need, if someone jacked the NVR I'd still be recording and have a day to stop recording and retrieve backups, if the jacked the NVR and took the entire network offline then I'd have the last day up to the outage which should include a large portion of the events.

Also after a natural disaster, even if the camera is found smashed blocks away the flash memory typically yields results right up to the event that are at least news worthy if not good for insurance purposes.. HDD's are far less likely to survive a natural disaster, they wont tolerate any abuse.

sometimes shit happens, mebe the network dropped a few critical frames or the NVR hit overload or auto-rebooted and having a local copy avoids heartbreak when its time for your video surveillance to finally shine..

lastly, If your using a camera on WiFi local flash is really the best recording option available.. uses up no bandwidth and dont require a stable network connection.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the rule of thumb would be to use the largest card that will fit? How many minutes / hours of footage could be stored on a 2mp camera with a 128Mb card? I realize that the answer varies, but with a typical frame rate (is it ~15 fps?), how much? Thanks.

I think you just answered the questions while I was typing. =) glad to see I don't necessarily need the biggest card for all cams. Planning a network with 9 cams.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2 Days Full Quality H264, 4 Days Full Quality H265 on 128G.. you can also record substreams for a backup and get more ~6-8 days IIRC for h264 and should be 12-16 days for h265.. or you can record only on motion/IVS events and stretch it out really far but you should make sure its tuned correctly your not missing events.

dont really need to buy the biggest tha'll fit, even if you put in a lil 32GB card at least you have some backup; any really important events that would make your backup critical your likely to be aware of fairly quickly.. some cameras like your front door, driveway camera might be wroth putting that big in for you but others far less likely to encounter anything probably dont.. quality flash aint cheap and stuffing em all with $50 memory chips will compound fast

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What write speeds on a card are necessary to make sure frames aren't dropped, or will any good class 10 card do fine?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
speeds are more than adequate on any of em; but quality is not.. budget cards wont last long, you need the speedier ones merely for the additional quality.

Reaction score
2 Days Full Quality H264, 4 Days Full Quality H265 on 128G.. you can also record substreams for a backup and get more ~6-8 days IIRC for h264 and should be 12-16 days for h265.. or you can record only on motion/IVS events and stretch it out really far but you should make sure its tuned correctly your not missing events.
I know this thread is couple of months, sorry to bumping it back up.

@nayr or anyone, whats the best way of fine tuning the motion/IVS so that events are not missed and recorded/snapshot to either MicroSD/NAS. Thanks