Question about locally remote NVR functionality

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Getting ready to install a Dahua rebranded (Lorex) camera system in my home.
System: IP Camera System with 6 Ultra HD 4K Security Cameras & Lorex Secure Connectivity

The NVR is a Lorex LNR6100 and is said to have the same menu system as the Dahua: 4K NVR with 8 Channels and Lorex Secure Remote Connectivity

My original plan was to install the NVE at my home theather center, next to the router and TV. That would make everything simple. HDMI connection to TV a snap, power from UPS and room for the mouse to operate the NVR. Problem is that in the event of a break-in, taking the NVR is also a snap.

I've considered other NVR placements such as bedroom, closets and top of kitchen cabinet (best choice). This presents the issue of operating the NVR, how do you view NVR (monitor display) and use mouse from kitchen cabinet or closet? Also connection to main TV gets tricky, long HDMI?

My question is, can the same operation/functionality of the NVR be done from a PC in the house? This would eliminate the need to hook up monitor and mouse to NVR everytime I want to operate it.

My TV's also all run KODI on Amazon fires and Nvidia Shield. What options does that give me for camera viewing?

Connecting to a local PC through the home network brings up another question. IS the NVR safe to be connecting to the shared home network which has connectivity to the internet? I often here of security flaws and backdoors related to NVRs. I haven't decided on whether I'll use the remote viewing app on mobile devices. That depends on the risk.

Thx.

Last edited:

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
I think installing a DVR lock box at my home theater center would be the easiest solution. The intruders would have to go through a lot of effort to pry it off. My HT system shelf is very heavy duty and bolted to the wall studs.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Orly,

Welcome to the forum! Lotsa great info here! Tip: it's faster to search here for answers to your questions, as versus asking a question (that has been asked many,, many times before), and then waiting for an answer (from folks who get fatigued answering the basic questions over and over)/

Sounds like you're considering going the "kit route". Consider these points:
Why not go with Costco NVR package?

That kit uses bullet form factor cameras. For outdoors, be aware of drawbacks of bullets. Better than domes, but not as good as turrets.
Why turrets instead of bullets?
Turret Vs. Bullet (new installation)

The cams have a 4mm lens. Check what FOV that 88 degree will provide in your yard. Check this site, enter you address, google maps shows house, place a cam, and get an estimate of what you'll see. With 4mm, you won't get a lot of detail at distance, to identify people (face shot)
newbie need help selecting camera
Is there a good site with solid advice on placement of cameras?
My cams range from 2.8mm (my rookie mistake in wanting a "wide FOV to see everything), to 12mm (fixed and varifocal)
What size lens to get?
which cam is best for my driveway

can the same operation/functionality of the NVR be done from a PC in the house? This would eliminate the need to hook up monitor and mouse to NVR everytime I want to operate it.
You can use the NVR native user interface, or surf in and use its web based interface. Myself, I like using my laptop to reach the NVR, instead of visiting the NVR close and personal. Or use SmartPSS on the laptop. Research for opinions. Eg:
Dahua Smartpss

IS the NVR safe to be connecting to the shared home network which has connectivity to the internet? I often here of security flaws and backdoors related to NVRs. I haven't decided on whether I'll use the remote viewing app on mobile devices. That depends on the risk.
It's good you're concerned about security. If you don't need remote access, then putting the NVR on your home network, means it's as secure as your home computers. If you want remote access (on a phone, for instance):
VPN Primer for Noobs

installing a DVR lock box
Consider putting the NVR inside an old VHS player! The thieves won't steal that!

Again, welcome! Good luck researching on this site for info!

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I think installing a DVR lock box at my home theater center would be the easiest solution. The intruders would have to go through a lot of effort to pry it off.
Check this site for info on secondary video storage. NAS can hold redundant video. If NVR stolen, you still have footage. Secondly, if you don't go the kit route, you can buy cams that have an SD slot. More redundancy for video storage.

Is your head spinning yet?
Welcome to the forum!

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Orly,

Welcome to the forum! Lotsa great info here! Tip: it's faster to search here for answers to your questions, as versus asking a question (that has been asked many,, many times before), and then waiting for an answer (from folks who get fatigued answering the basic questions over and over)/
Fastb
I did do a lot of fast research the past few days. Not as much as I would have liked to but I'll be on stay-cation next week and that is the opportunity for me to install the system. I need to run all the wires too and that is no picnic. I moved quick on getting a system so I got that Dahua/Lorex system from Costco. The next runner up was a Hikvision 4MP system but more $$. I also had a minor theft in my front yard so that exasperated the issue.
Sounds like you're considering going the "kit route". Consider these points:
Why not go with Costco NVR package?
Fastb
Got the system. Originally I was going to have a system installed. I HATE working in the attic that much. A resident in my neighborhood that does camera systems quoted me $2200 for a 4 cam, 4K IP system. Too much $ for me. I then reluctantly decided to go DIY. Lots of folks recommended this system due to the Dahua build, otherwise the consensus was to stay away from big-box store systems.

That kit uses bullet form factor cameras. For outdoors, be aware of drawbacks of bullets. Better than domes, but not as good as turrets.
Why turrets instead of bullets?
Turret Vs. Bullet (new installation)
Fastb
I learned about the pros and cons of the camera types. Already had settled on avoiding domes. Turrets were my 1st choice but the system/price wasn't where I needed it to be. Bullets were the runner up.

The cams have a 4mm lens. Check what FOV that 88 degree will provide in your yard. Check this site, enter you address, google maps shows house, place a cam, and get an estimate of what you'll see. With 4mm, you won't get a lot of detail at distance, to identify people (face shot)
newbie need help selecting camera
Is there a good site with solid advice on placement of cameras?
My cams range from 2.8mm (my rookie mistake in wanting a "wide FOV to see everything), to 12mm (fixed and varifocal)
What size lens to get?
which cam is best for my driveway
Fastb
This is the most tedious part of planning a camera system. Being my 1st system, it's hard to picture in your mind the actual results regardless of the online simulators. Yes they do help give you an idea of what to expect but just not the same. Now that I've actually tested my system a little, I have a better idea and there are maybe 1 or 2 spots where a wider FOV would be useful.

My home is not large or with vast expanses. On the contrary, there are some close quarter spots with multiple doors at odd angles from each other where wider FOV would be better suited. The exterior layout is not a simple square so there are recessed areas to cover. I covered the choke points on both sides of home and most doors and windows. I had a break-in years ago through a bedroom window in rear of house so all points of entry matter IMO. I still could use another camera or two and this system has 2 more vacant camera spots for later on so that will get me to 100% coverage. I'm pretty OCD on that point.

The 4mm, 88° lenses are not bad I think. They are pretty wide and as I stated things arent very far off at my house. Driveway is short too. I also have lots of lighting around the exterior of house so low light image looks pretty good. A starlight could be useful in one spot and one or two 2.8mm cameras could be handy too (front door). Having the extra cams on this kit made the narrower FOV cams still work out. The 4K is a nice plus, very sharp IQ.

Funny thing is that a week ago some one was stealing my landscaping lights from my front lawn. I took a cheapo tabletop 720p IP cam, kind of like a baby cam, and set it on the inside of my front window. It was dark out and the glare from the IR was blinding so I turned it off. Within 30 min of placing the cam the perp stole another landscaping light. When I reviewed the video I saw that it was a nearby neighbor on his bike. I called the cops they saw the video and got my lights back right away. Even with a crappy camera, I was able to identify a person. This new camera system is light years better so I feel confident in it's usefulness.

You can use the NVR native user interface, or surf in and use its web based interface. Myself, I like using my laptop to reach the NVR, instead of visiting the NVR close and personal. Or use SmartPSS on the laptop. Research for opinions. Eg:
Dahua Smartpss
Fastb
Sounds good. So in surf are we talking through the internet or just an html based control GUI on the NVR through the local network?

It's good you're concerned about security. If you don't need remote access, then putting the NVR on your home network, means it's as secure as your home computers. If you want remote access (on a phone, for instance):
VPN Primer for Noobs
Fastb
Perfect. I'll look further into that link info. Thx

Consider putting the NVR inside an old VHS player! The thieves won't steal that!
Fastb
I actually saw this suggestion earlier today on another thread here when I was searching for info. I wouldn't doubt if that post was yours. It's actually a good idea.

Again, welcome! Good luck researching on this site for info!

Fastb
Thanks for the replay with all the useful info. Given different circumstances, I would have gone with a custom system provided it fit within a budget and that Lorex I got was at the limit of my budget and it was heavily discounted.

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Check this site for info on secondary video storage. NAS can hold redundant video. If NVR stolen, you still have footage. Secondly, if you don't go the kit route, you can buy cams that have an SD slot. More redundancy for video storage.

Is your head spinning yet?
Welcome to the forum!
I'll look into the NAS solution, I like that idea and wasn't sure if it was doable.

I'd also read about the SD card cams here somewhere. It's a cool idea but it's gotta cost extra and reduce the number of camera choices.

Thx

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Getting ready to install a Dahua rebranded (Lorex) camera system in my home.
System: IP Camera System with 6 Ultra HD 4K Security Cameras & Lorex Secure Connectivity...
Hi,

I think you got a very good deal as I have seen people flipping that kit on ebay for some extra $.

Definitely bench test it first... here is the post on this forum which got me excited about 4K cameras provided you have enough light:
Any 4k cameras (or > 2MP) with good night Image Quality?

Remember the hardest part of the job is typically the wiring. ( remember to use bulk wiring so you can return the kit if you need to )

Also definitely look at getting 2 starlights to augment the kit to cover any location which you need a better night time view.

Let us know how it turns out, and have fun setting it up.

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I think you got a very good deal as I have seen people flipping that kit on ebay for some extra $.

Definitely bench test it first... here is the post on this forum which got me excited about 4K cameras provided you have enough light:
Any 4k cameras (or > 2MP) with good night Image Quality?
My initial tests are somewhat inconclusive. Some placements take good advantage of ambient light. Other locations have the camera running color-mode at night resulting in the sensor ISO being to high with lots of image noise. I need to see if the camera can be forced to IR mode at night in these cases.
Remember the hardest part of the job is typically the wiring. ( remember to use bulk wiring so you can return the kit if you need to )
I have my own 1000' spool of Cat5e. Already have half the runs done. Waiting for mounting boxes.
Also definitely look at getting 2 starlights to augment the kit to cover any location which you need a better night time view.
Yeah, I could probably use one or two starlights. Probably a wide angle too for the front doorway, which is well lit.
Let us know how it turns out, and have fun setting it up.
Will do. Should have the install done in about a week or so. It's been so hot that I only work on my install on weekend mornings.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. I need to see if the camera can be forced to IR mode at night in these cases.

..It's been so hot that I only work on my install on weekend mornings.
Excellent! I think you will really like the boxes - remember to use your level when mounting them.

yes you can force the cameras to do IR - iirc it is B&W "mode" - and there are configurations you can force the camera to operate on - I am still learning my NVR and am excited to see what a large improvement in quality I have been getting with the Dahua cameras and NVR over other products I have purchased.

Definitely avoid that attic after 11AM... waiting to clean up some wiring myself..

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent! I think you will really like the boxes - remember to use your level when mounting them.

yes you can force the cameras to do IR - iirc it is B&W "mode" - and there are configurations you can force the camera to operate on - I am still learning my NVR and am excited to see what a large improvement in quality I have been getting with the Dahua cameras and NVR over other products I have purchased.

Definitely avoid that attic after 11AM... waiting to clean up some wiring myself..
That's good news on the mode settings. Please keep me/us up-to-date on any tweaks you figure out to improve the quality.

I can't wait to have it all going so I can see how it really does.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure about dahua systems, but on hikvision NVR's you can find that the dedicated windows app ivm4200 has functionality that is not accessible on the NVR !! Like virtual hosts on a poe system. so although is is nice to have the clean native os handy, it is not always going to give you the best functionality, so with a valid network point, hide it :)

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Got the system all hooked up and running finally. Looks great and the focal length is working out ok. Could use a starlight or two but that's for later. Now i'm learning the UI and all the functions.

I'd like to thank matt2000 for the suggestion he posted on slickdeals regarding the Dahua junction box. Those boxes were perfect.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got the system all hooked up and running finally. Looks great and the focal length is working out ok. Could use a starlight or two but that's for later. Now i'm learning the UI and all the functions.

I'd like to thank matt2000 for the suggestion he posted on slickdeals regarding the Dahua junction box. Those boxes were perfect.
Thanks Orly!

Looks great. Would really like to see a few night shots.

I'm very happy to share what I have learned to help others more overcome the rather steep initial introduction to this world of security cameras.

Try backing up a couple a same video clips and playing it on your laptop or desktop to simulate a situation when you need to provide evidence to someone. Not too hard to do, yet there were a few things which surprised me - in particular the .dav format - and finding ways to get VLC to play that.

Thank you

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks great. Would really like to see a few night shots.
I'll post some night time screenshots tonight.

Try backing up a couple a same video clips and playing it on your laptop or desktop to simulate a situation when you need to provide evidence to someone. Not too hard to do, yet there were a few things which surprised me - in particular the .dav format - and finding ways to get VLC to play that.
That's a good idea. I got lots to figure out. I did play around with the smart scan, cool stuff.

I haven't plugged the NVR to my switch yet. Any pointers on accessing the NVR via local PC?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll post some night time screenshots tonight.

That's a good idea. I got lots to figure out. I did play around with the smart scan, cool stuff.

I haven't plugged the NVR to my switch yet. Any pointers on accessing the NVR via local PC?
HI Orly,

My NVR also is currently disconnected from my LAN - I got some work to do there - juggling a few of the new cat5e/cat6 lines and juggling with the placement of the new switch and older equipment now that I made room for the NVR.

Looks like most people just hit the web interface.

Also, check out the link for the VPN info - see notes below
Looking for some advice and direction!

Also look for @giomania notes - he did a great job and it is worth looking at those.
Check out his comments on "Dahua event triggers"
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Thank You

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's a few cellphone photos (sorry haven't had a chance to figure out image transfers from NVR yet) of my display at night. I had issues email pics from phone so only got 4 out of 6 with lousy quality

The IR is so-so. Camera seems to beam the IR at an angle below center, low. Not very wide either. Found myself raising some of the cameras to get the illumination where I wanted.

In this image the camera sits to high and near the soffit. If the camera was angled any higher I got to much reflective glare. I'm gonna install a junction box under this camera to give it some more separation, that should help quite a bit. This spot is a candidate for a Starlight.

This one works out pretty well. It's a short distance and works well enough.

The backyard has lots of ambient light. The camera stays in color mode and I'm not sure how to adjust the sensitivity for switch to IR. This is probably ok though I notice a lot of high ISO grain/noise. IR might work better.

Carport also stays in color due to lots of light. This works fine for me i think.

Got a 5th image from my email finally. Front door. Well lit, in fact I had to tape half of the lamp globe to eliminate the glare from the bulb. Stays in color mode but give good image of the doorway.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! It actually looks a lot better than I was expecting.

You may want to tilt the first camera down just a bit so that the view does not include the edge of the roof, suspect the IR light is bouncing off that section of roof back to the camera.

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score

You may want to tilt the first camera down just a bit so that the view does not include the edge of the roof, suspect the IR light is bouncing off that section of roof back to the camera.
In full rez like on my 4K TV it looks really good.

Once I install the junction box on that camera I'll be able to lift the view a little bit more without the roof being a problem. I need it angled up a bit more to get my car parked on the front shoulder into view.

Orly

n3wb
Reaction score

Here's the last view. Darkest part of yard. After raising the camera a bit the IR beam illuminates where I wanted. Lights up both my yard and the neighbor. The neighbors driveway seems out of illumination range or exposure. This would also be a possible candidate for a starlight but looks pretty good as is.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It actually looks really good.

Time to test it and see if you can get a decent image of a person by your neighbors gate and your front window on the side.

You could add an IR illuminator to the front of the house area to get that section to be brighter.