Question about SD49425XB-HNR longevity outdoors

n2qew

n3wb
Reaction score
I see that Andy sells that as a PTZ camera. Does anyone have one that's been outdoors for a while? I'm wondering if the hardware used is stainless or if it starts rusting immediately? Intended use will be as a beach cam on the coast. I've currently got some Axis Q-6044E cameras that have started reaching end of life - alloy enclosure dissolving, and the Axis never ending power supply failures. The SD49425 says it's IP66, and even shows a picture of it at a beach.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see that Andy sells that as a PTZ camera. Does anyone have one that's been outdoors for a while? I'm wondering if the hardware used is stainless or if it starts rusting immediately? Intended use will be as a beach cam on the coast. I've currently got some Axis Q-6044E cameras that have started reaching end of life - alloy enclosure dissolving, and the Axis never ending power supply failures. The SD49425 says it's IP66, and even shows a picture of it at a beach.
I have had a couple of different Dahua PTZ models outdoors for 4+ yrs, and no rust on any hardware. But I'm not near the ocean.

n2qew

n3wb
Reaction score
The Axis camera in the attached pic has been out there for about 4 years. It's at a beach on the Ocean in Surf City, NC. As you can see, the threaded mount is about done. The rest of the enclosure is pretty corroded. Safety wire is fished back through the mount, but even if it falls and the Ethernet lets go, it's over restricted access dunes, so it won't hit anyone. It seems that the SD49425 is mostly plastic, so If it can hold up for a few years, just replace it when it gets bad enough. As it is, the domes on the Axis cameras get sunburned, and they are hard to get.
This one seems to have a glass cover over the lens, so maybe that will be a positive also. I looked at a similar looking camera - pix also below - but the hardware started rusting after a few weeks nowhere near the ocean.

Attachments

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Axis camera in the attached pic has been out there for about 4 years. It's at a beach on the Ocean in Surf City, NC. As you can see, the threaded mount is about done. The rest of the enclosure is pretty corroded. Safety wire is fished back through the mount, but even if it falls and the Ethernet lets go, it's over restricted access dunes, so it won't hit anyone. It seems that the SD49425 is mostly plastic, so If it can hold up for a few years, just replace it when it gets bad enough. As it is, the domes on the Axis cameras get sunburned, and they are hard to get.
This one seems to have a glass cover over the lens, so maybe that will be a positive also. I looked at a similar looking camera - pix also below - but the hardware started rusting after a few weeks nowhere near the ocean.
Maybe can use some anti corrosion spray or paint on the enclosure once a year to prolong the life of the camera?

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one of those on a 60' tower by my house. It's been running for "Total Working Time 1741day(s) 8hour(s) 0minute(s) " according to the Dahua web interface. It has been running a tour of eight presets since it was installed almost five years ago. No problems with rust or anything else.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one of those on a 60' tower by my house. It's been running for "Total Working Time 1741day(s) 8hour(s) 0minute(s) " according to the Dahua web interface. It has been running a tour of eight presets since it was installed almost five years ago. No problems with rust or anything else.
The only problem here is not just normal corrosion with rain and snow though, the salt air like bigredfish mentioned will do a lot more corrosion damage to the op's cameras because the location is near the beach on the coast. Sea water/ salt air will significantly shorten the life span of metal/electronic equipments unless it was designed to be used near the ocean.

The Anti-Corrosion Cameras linked by bigredfish will probably better suited for the op's need as compared to the SD49425XB-HNR which is very good for the average users but probably not right next to the ocean.

n2qew

n3wb
Reaction score
Appreciate that. The SS camera will no doubt hold up much better than than the alloy on the Axis. Poking around a bit, those cameras you mentioned are $3k+. I was kinda thinking around the lines of if a cheap PTZ with a decent picture will last and work good for a couple of years. We would just replace it, and start with a fresh camera. The camera I sent the picture of is about 20 feet above ground maybe 100 feet from the surf line.The worst of the locations we've got. We've got a few others that are higher up above the ground. My questions might sound trollish, but they are not.
Axis has their flavor of anti corrosion cameras - the SE line. You pay for Axis + the SS. We didn't used them.

n2qew

n3wb
Reaction score
Another question. Will this camera - the SD49425XB-HNR - do 30 FPS at 1080, or is it limited to 25FPS. The model number doesn't have the "N" in it, and on the OEM site, that appears to mean it's PAL not NTSC.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another question. Will this camera - the SD49425XB-HNR - do 30 FPS at 1080, or is it limited to 25FPS. The model number doesn't have the "N" in it, and on the OEM site, that appears to mean it's PAL not NTSC.
Hey there - I have this camera and it is awesome - I can't recall if it bumps up to 30FPS at 2MP. Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to record at 30FPS?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PAL or NTSC is just a toggle switch so you can switch it.

But no need to run at 25 or 30FPS. Movies are shot for the big screen at 24FPS

n2qew

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey there - I have this camera and it is awesome - I can't recall if it bumps up to 30FPS at 2MP. Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to record at 30FPS?
Not recording anything. They are used as weather cameras and are put on air on TV stations as part of local weather - and occasionally run out to two of the big 4 networks. 25 vs 30 vs actual on air frame rate of 29.97 isn't a big difference, but it is visible.

n2qew

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it - @EMPIRETECANDY would be able to give you the quickest answer about whether SD49425XB-HNR can do 30 FPS at 1080, or is it limited to 25FPS - I won't get into my system for a few days to check
To clarify a bit what I do with them... VUit: WECT
The camera feeding the wall monitor behind Kim is a Panasonic AW-HE42. Next - and again at 10:37 - is the Wrightsville beach cam which is a Axis 6044E. You'll notice the spots which are from dissolving enclosure inside the dome. Next behind Claire - Belville. A Q6044E. At 13:10 on the timeline is Southport which is a Q6054E. At the close is Surf City, a Q6044 which I showed a picture of at the beginning of this post.
I fully agree most normal applications don't need 30 fps - my home security cameras are running 15fps and low rate continuous - you really do need 30 for nice fluid video for broadcast. There's also a few things in the path between these cameras and where they become another video source.
Most of them are Microwave -> switch -> another Microwave -> switches -> RTSP to SDI video de-streamer -> Frame sync (since we can't genlock the de-streamer) -> Video router.
The other path the video may take after the Microwaves is into the weather graphics system directly via RTSP like the shot at 13:10. That's how the wx graphics can be placed on top of the video. They can take up to 8 cameras at once via RTSP and put them on screen with graphics.