Question about storage !! -4.6T?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I had some issues, and I have swapped DB and New folders from one hard(D) drive to the other(C), then back.
Since then I have this error message and I don't know what to do about it.
Also I have deleted a bunch of files on the D drive, then on the C drive as well.
Any input, would be appreciated?
Should I delete everything and start from fresh?
SSD is not big enough to store the New on it. DB is OK on the SSD.

Attachments

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't done that, but I have started the process now. It will take a bit.
Thanks, I will let you know about the outcome.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Also you can swap back the value of New Folder inside BI. I fiddleF$k%^!!!! around and screwed mine up earlierthis week. I did repair DB, but i got your error for over provisioning the maximum size of the drive containing "New Folder"
BI thought that "NEW FOLDER" was the WD 6.oTB Blue drive. when It was really New folder" Hitachi. Create unique folder names on each drive inside the Blue Iris folder. I had tried to Mirror the BI folders onto 2TB Hitachi before i knew what the hell i was doing. I get the December Dual dumbass award. So anyway when I switch it back BI saw New Folder on a 2Tb Drive with a max size allocation of 5.4TB. Thus the yellow warning.ADF08CB2-20F2-45E6-9F34-FD4DBED76ADF.jpeg

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you guys, the DB fix repaired it.
It is suggested to put the DB and New folder on the main hdd, but that is only a 250GB SSD.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you should check that information source. People are putting the “New” folder on the large capacity platter drives. And By default, the BI installation puts the Db file on C:\.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Right. read that as storage on the PC. on the motherboard. Not the C drive only. if you have additional SATA ports you should be able to expand the "local/fast storage to include a Surveillance drive. That's why there is a market called Surveillance drives.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer and read.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder. The New folder must be on an internal drive.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.