Question for you Pros

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fen? or any of the other pros out there.

How are you going about pushing video out to say 3 or 4 TV's in different parts of the house from one NVR

Obviously a splitter but it has to be enough power to push over HDMI a rather long distance i know i can get the 50ft mark or less without issue but what about farther. Suggestions/ links to give me an idea to research?

The short buddy just bought a rather HUGE house and wants cameras installed so i have and 8 camera mission. he wants the VNR located some where in his bedroom but wants to ability to see the cameras on the TV's i.e room upstairs down stairs etc.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use apps on an android tv box to see the streams, or if you have an android smart tv, install it on that

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fen? or any of the other pros out there.

How are you going about pushing video out to say 3 or 4 TV's in different parts of the house from one NVR

Obviously a splitter but it has to be enough power to push over HDMI a rather long distance i know i can get the 50ft mark or less without issue but what about farther. Suggestions/ links to give me an idea to research?

The short buddy just bought a rather HUGE house and wants cameras installed so i have and 8 camera mission. he wants the VNR located some where in his bedroom but wants to ability to see the cameras on the TV's i.e room upstairs down stairs etc.
if you want 100 percent stability the best way is to use something like this Tripp Lite 4-Port HDMI over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender Splitter, Transmitter for Video and Audio, 1080p at 60Hz(B126-004) - Newegg.com
hdmi over cat...
The downside is all screens will have to display the same set of cams...
using other solutions allows you to customize each display.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use apps on an android tv box to see the streams, or if you have an android smart tv, install it on that
I wish but he isnt he type that is attached to his phone. he wants to be able to flip from watching tv to seeing the stream on the tv's, not to mention this house is big enough (REALLY BIG) that he will need a fair bit of work to get wireless internet thats stable and fast thru out the house and im not going to offer to do that for him due to the amount of work already needed with pulling drops thru out the house.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish but he isnt he type that is attached to his phone. he wants to be able to flip from watching tv to seeing the stream on the tv's, not to mention this house is big enough (REALLY BIG) that he will need a fair bit of work to get wireless internet thats stable and fast thru out the house and im not going to offer to do that for him due to the amount of work already needed with pulling drops thru out the house.
You can use an Ethernet based android box..or if money is no issue something like this is interesting though there are no reviews or detailed info on it
New product for advanced features.

Side note on the wifi, its really easy to get it solid through the house. The orbi mesh with 3 units is 400 at costco...will work perfectly...also asus just released new firmware updates to some of its routers that creates a mesh network aimesh...two rt-ac86u units configured as a mesh should do the trick...AiMesh – Powerful Whole-home Wi-Fi, The Way You Want

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume with that option there is a second box or connection point at the tv end then right
yes, they have a powered and unpowered unit depending on distance. There are other brands that offer this option as well..

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ill have a look around then for a few days to see what i come up with.

While i normally would agree with the wifi after being in this house tonight and it being 3 levels 4 car garage at almost 13,000 sq ft it was like a frigging maze in there rooms every where, walls every where hell it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get back to the front door in this house. He can deal with the wifi and internet in this house lol more work then i have time for since im doing this on my days off as a favor

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ANDROID TV BOX - A small device that sites adjacent to the TV via HDMI, plugs into wifi or best ethernet and then an app is loaded onto that box, IVMS tinycam etc and you select the units to monitor, leave that running and all he has to do is switch inputs and all is clear :) I did not mention phones as in casting etc as the TV boxes are better for the answer to the first post

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Several folks use a $30 Amazon Fire Tv stick with TinyCamMonitor Pro installed on it.
Me too, but the performance isn’t the best.
If it’s only for viewing purposes and nothing else, why not using a cheap NVR at each tv? Probably the best performance vs any app. The 41xx series are not that expensive and. Should be enough for showing the cams with 80Mbps incoming bandwidth

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Me too, but the performance isn’t the best.
If it’s only for viewing purposes and not and other why, why not using an cheap NVR at each tv? Probably the best performance vs any app. The 41xx series are not that expensive and. Should be enough for showing the cams with 80Mbps incoming bandwidth
if you pull too many streams from the camera itself it will cause issues

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same issue...there is a finite limit... multicast may be a solution
Yes of course, but I don’t think he’ll watch it on twenty TVs
Multicast (IGMPv3 Switch needed) would be the best solution for that. But 5 streams from a cam or NVR at the same time wasn’t an issue for me at any time for now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes of course, but I don’t think he’ll watch it on twenty TVs
Multicast (IGMPv3 Switch needed) would be the best solution for that. But 5 streams from a cam or NVR at the same time wasn’t an issue for me at any time for now.
Even a few tv's plus remote viewing can choke the NVR - it depends on the load you have on the NVR and the bitrate of the streams...some cams choke on two streams...some three..

Reaction score
As long as you are not using a ridiculous amount of TVs, for two or three I just connect up further NVRs and piggy back off the main one. If you pull the streams from the cameras it tends to cause issues, but as far as a "a few" extra viewing points ive never had a problem. Also have the plus point that it is then recorded as multiple locations - should you fit a hard drive

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
TinyCam Pro works great on the Nvidia Shield. No issues at all.... Also does 4k Netflix, Hulu, HDR, YouTube, and about a million other apps.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
He basically wants to be watching tv or what ever and if needed someone shows up etc he want to be able to just flip to say hdmi2 and see the camera stream. He is aware the love happens at the nor personally lol the fire stick looks reasonable im still looking into it