Question on MicroSD cards and 24-hour recording

GFB

n3wb
Reaction score
So I intend to set up Blue Iris to record 24/7 and only alarm/notify on movement in specific zones at specific times. And I am still learning and reading...so there may be a better way.

But knowing that, what good does the Micro SD card do, and if I have large hard drive capacity, if I need Micro SD cards, what size? I have four Dahua 4MP Starlight cameras (two vari, two 3.6).

GFB

n3wb
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what size would be good for me with the cameras I have? I can go up to 256 - just not sure if I should go a specific type or size.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Make sure its a class 10/high speed and get the biggest you can support. I use Kingston brand, but I imagine any name brand should be fine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Suggest you not use 24-hour recording for the SD card and use for motion only. The CPU in the cameras will get maxed out and once the card gets full it will stutter as it tries to figure out what to erase (at least in my experience). Mine records on motion or IVS trigger only (depending on the camera and location) and it will stutter once the SD card is full, so I will go in every couple of weeks and reformat the SD card so that it starts clean again.

You are getting it solely as a back-up, so whatever you feel like purchasing. Personally I went with 128