Question on networking

jh12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a probably simple question about my ip-cam setup. Some of the cameras I can connect to simply by writing their ip-addresses in the browser (like 192.168.1.XXX). But some of them only after making my laptops IP address to like 192.168.1.XX. Why and how do I fix this issue?

Sorry for my bad English and greetings from Northern Europe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for my bad English and greetings from Northern Europe
Your English is fine - and greetings from Scotland.

But I don't really understand the problem.
Please list the IP address of all the cameras, and the normal address of the laptop, and the address you need to change it to for some of the cameras.
They are not private - it will not be a security risk to show them.

jh12

n3wb
Reaction score
My problem is strictly networking. Let me try to paint the setup. There are two buildings. These are "connected" through cable in the ground as they share the internet connection that comes to the other house through fiber. I don't know much more about this setup. Now I have installed two IP-cameras at each house. If I'm in one house then I can connect to a camera simply by writing it's IP-address in the browser using no static IP assigned to the computer ("Obtain an IP address automatically"). But before I can connect to cameras in the other house I have to assign a static ip to my computer that is in the same range that the camera.
Please ask as I have difficulties explaining in English.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Please list the IP address of all the cameras, and the normal address of the laptop, and the address you need to change it to for some of the cameras.
It sounds like the IP addresses in some of the cameras need to be changed so that they are all in the same range as the range normally used by the laptop.
That should be possible only if there is no router between the 2 buildings, just the fibre trunk connecting them.

jh12

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks dear friends for trying to help. Turned out there was two different internal networks and I was hooked up to the wrong one in this other house.