Question on running wire outside

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to install a junction box when running the wire from inside to outside the house for easy access if the cable was to fail? Another words there would be 2 cables, 1 from inside to the junction box right outside the house and another from the box to the camera. Or do most just run 1 cable. Thanks

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess it depends of where the cable comes out of the house etc.
Personally I've gone for just the single cable, but it does come out of the house two stories up, so it'd be a ball ache to use a junction box that high.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depends on how you mount it. When i do camera installs I prefer mounting on the soffit and going up to the attic. Makes it look nice and clean and professional. If for some reason I can't get through the Attic I just run it along the sliding of the house. Most cat6 can get wet it's the rj45 connectors to worry about,and the sun .

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will probably have to run from the basement. My concern was if the wire was to fail and I had a junction box I could repair it but that might be another failure spot also. Do most run a conduit if run from the basement or just the wire, I can run the wire behind some trim molding so it wont really be noticed.

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it best to install a junction box where the cable comes out of the house? If so what is the best to install. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it best to install a junction box where the cable comes out of the house? If so what is the best to install. Thanks
NO. Every time you splice the connection you increase attenuation and introduce a point of failure...if you are paranoid about a cable failing, then leave some extra slack in the wall and you can install the junction box later if it happens..it wont...its is never done this way..

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NO. Every time you splice the connection you increase attenuation and introduce a point of failure...if you are paranoid about a cable failing, then leave some extra slack in the wall and you can install the junction box later if it happens..it wont...its is never done this way..
Ok, that makes total sense . I will just seal the hole where it goes through the siding. I imagine silicone would be ok.