Question regarding Paypal

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up an order of 6 cams and junction boxes with Andy. I'm not too familiar with Paypal and I want to avoid any additional fees in making the payment to him. How do I go about making the payment?

Thanks in advance.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming you have the paypal account set up, you ask Andy to send an invoice to your account name. You should get an email from paypal telling you it has arrived. You then log into your account and pay the invoice. AFAIK, the fees come out of your payment (i.e. Andy gets less than what you pay), but that's all transparent to you.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Assuming you have the paypal account set up, you ask Andy to send an invoice to your account name. You should get an email from paypal telling you it has arrived. You then log into your account and pay the invoice. AFAIK, the fees come out of your payment (i.e. Andy gets less than what you pay), but that's all transparent to you.
Thanks tigerwillow1. I just have a debit card added to the PayPal account, Should I add my bank account?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks tigerwillow1. I just have a debit card added to the PayPal account, Should I add my bank account?
I might not have the best answer for this because I'm a real "tinfoil hat" type with online shopping. My own rules are:

1. Never use a debit card online.
2. Never give bank account access online.
3. Use only credit cards online.

Paypal badgered me into violating #2. I fortunately have a bank account I rarely use, that has about $40 in it. I gave them that account, limiting my risk to $40. Just yesterday I noticed a bogus credit card charge labeled as coming from Amazon. Called the card company and in just a few minutes the charge was reversed and the card cancelled. I've heard it's a lot harder to recover bogus charges once they're drawn out of a deposit account. Also, for paypal and Ali Express I use a credit card that I rarely use for anything else, so there's not a lot of inconvenience for me if I need to close that account.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I might not have the best answer for this because I'm a real "tinfoil hat" type with online shopping. My own rules are:

Paypal badgered me into violating #2. I fortunately have a bank account I rarely use, that has about $40 in it. I gave them that account, limiting my risk to $40. Just yesterday I noticed a bogus credit card charge labeled as coming from Amazon. Called the card company and in just a few minutes the charge was reversed and the card cancelled. I've heard it's a lot harder to recover bogus charges once they're drawn out of a deposit account. Also, for paypal and Ali Express I use a credit card that I rarely use for anything else, so there's not a lot of inconvenience for me if I need to close that account.
Thanks again. I don't have a credit card so, I'm a bit limited in that sense. I'll get the wife's card added to the account and once the payment goes through, I'll remove it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW I use it regularly and dont connect the paypal account to my credit card OR bank. I simply choose to pay with a credit card at checkout, and dont tick any boxes asking you to save or connect that card to your account...

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW I use it regularly and dont connect the paypal account to my credit card OR bank. I simply choose to pay with a credit card at checkout, and dont tick any boxes asking you to save or connect that card to your account...
Thanks bigredfish.

Reaction score
Have used Paypal for over 20 years with link to bank account and ZERO problems. But also have a complicated, long password and change it. YMMV

Last edited:

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks to all that have responded. Looks like I may have misunderstood the way PayPal worked.

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If anyone has a Citibank card or even a Bank of America , look for virtual account numbers(Citibank) or Shopsafe (BOA). You can create virtual card numbers and not give out your real card numbers. You can also add these cards to PayPal when needed and delete them from PayPal after they are used. Whoever you give the number too is the only one allowed to use it. Also note if you use a debit card, it is the same as writing a check and takes a few days to clear the payment or at least it used to. As a seller, PayPal usually notes not to send items until it clears. The kicker for a seller using PayPal is if they are setup to take credit cards it’s the same percentage for a debit charge as a credit card charge.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use american express. I have a completely separate green AMX card with a different number for use on my internet purchases. I believe AMX will provide up to 5 different cards ( different numbers) on a single account, at no additional charge. This makes canceling your internet cards easy.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks to all that have responded. Looks like I may have misunderstood the way PayPal worked.
Some of the confusion may be that PayPal works both as a general payment service using its own accounts as well as a credit card processor for merchants. That is, you may want to set up a PayPal account but that's not necessary in most cases just to make a purchase from someone who is using it to do their credit card processing. You don't need to set up a PayPal account to do the latter. For example, if Andy sends you an invoice (or if he had a web site), it will link you through to PayPal's site where you can select to use a credit/debit card without having to create an account. In either case, the merchant never sees your payment/credit card info, they just receive an approval.

If you do create a PayPal account, then better to give it as little access as possible to other bank accounts, etc. You may want/need to for various reasons but unless you do, then don't.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If anyone has a Citibank card or even a Bank of America , look for virtual account numbers(Citibank) or Shopsafe (BOA). You can create virtual card numbers and not give out your real card numbers. You can also add these cards to PayPal when needed and delete them from PayPal after they are used. Whoever you give the number too is the only one allowed to use it. Also note if you use a debit card, it is the same as writing a check and takes a few days to clear the payment or at least it used to. As a seller, PayPal usually notes not to send items until it clears. The kicker for a seller using PayPal is if they are setup to take credit cards it’s the same percentage for a debit charge as a credit card charge.
Just an FYI/FWIW about virtual credit card numbers...

I've used them (Citibank) and mostly, but not always, it has worked out. A couple snags I hit using the virtual card number -

In two cases pre-authorization (when they charge a penny or whatever to be sure the card is valid) tripped the one use thing, so when they came to make the real charge the number didn't work any more. After noticing my stuff wasn't showing up I called the merchant and of course they said the card was declined/invalid so I had to make other arrangement.

The other time was with a refund/return. Again, once the charge is made it's the one use deal again and there was no place for them to put the refund back because the number was no good any more.

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only issue i have experianced was with batteries plus on a battery core charge refund. They wanted the security code off the original card used. Another was when I purchased a couple auto parts online with a pick up in store, they want to see the card used for ID purposes and in that case I just printed a copy of that card. Havent ran into any other issues even with refunds.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Setup confirmation texts to your mobile. These require you enter a random pass code that's sent to your mobile phone number every time you log in. The pass code expires after 3 minutes so this serves 2 purposes:

1. It's nearly impossible for someone to log in even if they compromise your password as they won't have the pass code as it goes to your registered mobile only

2. If your account password was compromised and someone tried to log in, the lack of the code both stops them and informs you by it's arrival that someone has attempted to login.

Personally, I've had an account a long time and never had a breach of my data.

BTW from memory I think the fee is 4% for receiving money.

taz420nj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an FYI/FWIW about virtual credit card numbers...

I've used them (Citibank) and mostly, but not always, it has worked out. A couple snags I hit using the virtual card number -

In two cases pre-authorization (when they charge a penny or whatever to be sure the card is valid) tripped the one use thing, so when they came to make the real charge the number didn't work any more. After noticing my stuff wasn't showing up I called the merchant and of course they said the card was declined/invalid so I had to make other arrangement.

The other time was with a refund/return. Again, once the charge is made it's the one use deal again and there was no place for them to put the refund back because the number was no good any more.
Not sure how BoA or Citi work but Capital One's virtual numbers (Eno) can be reused until you cancel them. When their browser extension detects a checkout page that you dont already have a card for, it prompts you to log in, then it generates a new virtual card for that site, auto fills the card info on the page, and saves it. They are reusable for recurring purchases/preauth transactions, and returns, and you can revoke them at any time. You can also use it once and revoke it immediately.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been using PayPal since 1995 (I do lot of my business online) and it is linked to my main bank account and the debt card tied to the same account. I never had any issue with PayPal. I even had a PayPal debt card which expired since I did not bother to renew it but it always been handy in the past when I done software or remote service and they would send money to my PayPal then I can go grab it fast from local ATM if I don't want to wait 2-3 days for it to deposit into my main bank account.

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Yes I have a second separate checking account that is only used for paypal... I would not let paypal have full access to all your money. LOL

Andy is great no issue's I just ordered over 1800 worth of stuff and fixing to order more. Replacing an old DVR system.

Reaction score
I have been using PayPal since 1995 (I do lot of my business online)
Yeah I'm in the same camp as you TechBill, but I don't use shared passwords (like Paypal login is only used in that one place), but I guess everyone needs to decide their account security measures and what is necessary. However, I have recently turned on two-factor TOTP (not SMS, which has been shown CAN be compromised) with PayPal, so we'll see if 20 years from now I still haven't been breached (without doing the virtual credit card numbers method or separate bank account etc).

Just for the curious you can anonymously check whether one of your passwords has appeared in any data breaches at: Have I Been Pwned: Pwned Passwords

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I refuse to link or save any bank account or debit card with PayPal, only credit cards. Reason being and this did happen quite a while ago I had some random £300 debited from my bank account, payment was made to a gambling site and dealing with PayPal was the worst. First of all they wouldn't believe that I hadn't made the transfer myself, then they claimed to have evidence that the payment was made using a device in my house, they then claimed that the payment was made to my account on the gambling site and this kept on over the course of around 5-6 days. In the end I asked for all the evidence that they had and it was then that the person I spoke to discovered that there were other users complaining re the same issue and the same gambling site. Took around 3 weeks to get a refund and even though I asked how or what happened they refused to explain.

After getting my refund I removed my bank account and debit cards, it used to complain each time I logged in but I put up with it, since then the system has changed and it no longer complains.