Question with storage space

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all,

After finally getting off tapatalk and logging in with a web browser, I found that the videos answered almost all my questions - huge help! I'm now down to 15-17% CPU usage, and recording 24/7 on 6 cams. Just about ready to add 4 more.

I do have a few questions though -

My 4tb HDD is showing about 15gb left (of approx 3.63gb).

#1) I have it set to delete at 3000gb or 21 days. When inspecting my stored folder, I am only using 2.28gb (and ~800kb for alerts). How can I be using 3.62gb of 3.63, when all I can find is 2.28gb in video? There are no other folders/directories on this drive.

#2) I was expecting to get about 2 weeks worth of recording on a 4tb HDD. right now BI shows recordings back about 10 days. Is this average? Should I expect to see a week or less once I have 10 cams on?
4mp chinese dahua cams set to 10fps, writing to SSD for 100gb/1day before moving to the 4GB HDD

I have a ton of other questions, like is .bvr the best, etc., but these are the 2 that seem to be priority in terms of trying to get this recording reliably.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Storage is base on a number of things depending on the camera type
1) number of cameras
2) Frame Rate
3) iframe value
4) CBR or VBR
5) Maximum bit rate
6) video quality
7) Video encoding

In Blue Iris only set the recording to space. Do not use the number of days.
In Blue Iris only allocate about 96% of the disk space to BI. Never 100%

Please provide screen shots from BI for
1) Blue iris status clip storage ( the button with the 3 vertical bars)
2) Blue iris options clips and archiving for the New folder and the stored folder. (2 screen shots) ( the gear button) .

If you can provide a screen shot from one of your cameras of the Video/ audio configuration screen... contains framerate , bit rate CBR/CBR .....

Storage size changes based upon the complexity of the image, and the motion in the image. You can have two cameras with the same camera settings and have two completely different files sizes.

Note: I am a houston texas F-150 driver.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Storage is base on a number of things depending on the camera type
1) number of cameras
2) Frame Rate
3) iframe value
4) CBR or VBR
5) Maximum bit rate
6) video quality
7) Video encoding

In Blue Iris only set the recording to space. Do not use the number of days.
In Blue Iris only allocate about 96% of the disk space to BI. Never 100%

Please provide screen shots from BI for
1) Blue iris status clip storage ( the button with the 3 vertical bars)
2) Blue iris options clips and archiving for the New folder and the stored folder. (2 screen shots) ( the gear button) .

If you can provide a screen shot from one of your cameras of the Video/ audio configuration screen... contains framerate , bit rate CBR/CBR .....

Storage size changes based upon the complexity of the image, and the motion in the image. You can have two cameras with the same camera settings and have two completely different files sizes.

Note: I am a houston texas F-150 driver.
I'll get those screenshots now.

Not sure why you mention the HTX F150 aspect... maybe my Tapatalk profile?
The lightning/truckin community lost an icon yesterday, Laurence "SSThis" Garza...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looks like since I posted, the direct SSD cleared out, it was red this morning with like - 650gb or something weird.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an example of storage I have 9 cameras all 2 MP recording at between 8 and 15 FPS. I can store about 37 days on a 4TB drive.

You see in the status that is red for the new folder you are way over allocated.
1) Change the new size to 80 GB.
2) Uncheck the number of days on new and stored.
3) looking at the windows directory for New and stored how big are the files ?

I do not know what happens when you have continuous recording selected and combine and cut not checked.

Set (check) on each camera the "Combine and cut video". I make all my files one hour long, that is just a personal preference, I do not like real large files (4+ GB).

Needs screen shot of the camera setting from in the camera . like ...

CAM_1.JPG

Last edited:

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an example of storage I have 9 cameras all 2 MP recording at between 8 and 15 FPS. I can store about 37 days on a 4TB drive.

You see in the status that is red for the new folder you are way over allocated.
1) Change the new size to 80 GB.
2) Uncheck the number of days on new and stored.
3) looking at the windows directory for New and stored how big are the files ?

I do not know what happens when you have continuous recording selected and combine and cut not checked.

Set (check) on each camera the "Combine and cut video". I make all my files one hour long, that is just a personal preference, I do not like real large files (4+ GB).

Needs screen shot of the camera setting from in the camera . like ...

View attachment 36094

getting back to this, I made the BI changes you recommended and it seems to have helped.

looks like my cam settings are a bit high though

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What does the status on the storage look like. Is the red bar gone. Screen shot.

On the cameras I would set bit rate type to VBR.

If you are not using sub streams, uncheck them.

how about a screen shot of the windows blueiris new folder, with the file names and file sizes.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changed all cams to VBR, and disabled substream this morning.

here is the drive status, still red on the 4tb HDD

Also a screenshot of the new folder, which is my SSD

Going back, looks like I have 12-13 days, but not every camera. Main concern is maximizing my past footage with 10 cameras in the future.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Changed all cams to VBR, and disabled substream this morning.

here is the drive status, still red on the 4tb HDD

Also a screenshot of the new folder, which is my SSD

Going back, looks like I have 12-13 days, but not every camera. Main concern is maximizing my past footage with 10 cameras in the future.

you still have an over allocation error. There should be no red or negative numbers.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did not realize that you had alerts on the E drive.

Screen shot of the clips and archived stored. A screen shot of the clips and archive alerts.
Uncheck the limit clips age on all the clips and archive setting. You can only store to as much space as you have. Setting the clip age is meaningless.