Questions about NVR's and POE switches

poolecw

n3wb
Reaction score
First Post!

Please excuse the silly question, but I am trying to start my research on designing a system for my home.

What would be the advantage of using a dedicated POE switch over the POE ports on a NVR?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
What would be the advantage of using a dedicated POE switch over the POE ports on a NVR
1 disadvantage of the nvr Poe is some units do not easily allow direct camera access (hikvision has virtual host function which allows under camera management
to click on to the web IP address of the camera.to adjust all camera settings.
2 also all wiring has to come back to the nvr.
advantage of having a Poe switch
1 this can be located in a more central location
2 the nvr can access this switch and pick up the camera ip address once entered manually into the nvr
also you can just open up the web ip address of the camera with out going into the nvr web GUI
i find with a Poe switch there more easily deployed around the network

example lets say i have access to my LAN from my garage and i add another nvr 16 channel upstairs into my network that can be either Poe or non Poe nvr
that wont matter.
from that Poe switch in the garage i can deploy 16 cameras around that area
buy another 16 channel unit have that upstairs nicely tucked away next to the first one
and add another Poe switch plug both into a standard switch i now have 32 cameras from that location just make sure all switch gear
is gigabit speed you do not want any bottle necks .
have a read on spanning tree networks

poolecw

n3wb
Reaction score
If I understand what you are telling me.... you say that POE switches can be used to reduce the number of long runs back to the NVR. If I have several cameras in close proxiemity, they can all feed into a POE switch. Then out of the POE switch would be one single run back to the NVR.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
If I understand what you are telling me.... you say that POE switches can be used to reduce the number of long runs back to the NVR. If I have several cameras in close proxiemity, they can all feed into a POE switch. Then out of the POE switch would be one single run back to the NVR.
that is correct
look up spanning tree networks
i will post some photos of what i have
as my house is two floors and i use power line adapters to get the signal back to the router which then runs upstairs to the three nvrs you can save a whole heap of hassles with this kind of set up

Peetz

n3wb
Reaction score
I find the biggest benefit to a PoE switch versus the PoE ports on the NVR is the ease of access to the individual cameras on your network,