Questions about purchasing software

hotrod53

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently using the trial version of Blue Iris after dumping Ispy. When looking online for software I see a few packages or covers of version 4. Some versions say Foscam Blue Iris, some do not. I see a few different prices between eBay and Amazon, I just want to be certain that I get the full version and not some less featured version. I do know there's a lite version, I know to stay away from that. I currently have (2) Amcrest 1080p cameras and I know that lite only supports one camera. I need to be sure that I get the standard full version since my brother has experience with the software and for support I want to be sure that my version is exactly the same.

Another question... if I buy V4, I assume that I can instantly upgrade to V4.xxx, whatever is the current version. When v5 comes out, will that be a pay Upgrade? I ask because I believe my brothers original purchase was V3 and he upgraded to V4 and I believe it was no cost.

TIA
Lynd

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm currently using the trial version of Blue Iris after dumping Ispy. When looking online for software I see a few packages or covers of version 4. Some versions say Foscam Blue Iris, some do not. I see a few different prices between eBay and Amazon, I just want to be certain that I get the full version and not some less featured version. I do know there's a lite version, I know to stay away from that. I currently have (2) Amcrest 1080p cameras and I know that lite only supports one camera. I need to be sure that I get the standard full version since my brother has experience with the software and for support I want to be sure that my version is exactly the same.

Another question... if I buy V4, I assume that I can instantly upgrade to V4.xxx, whatever is the current version. When v5 comes out, will that be a pay Upgrade? I ask because I believe my brothers original purchase was V3 and he upgraded to V4 and I believe it was no cost.

TIA
Lynd
Welcome to the forum..there are only two versions of blue iris software (full and light) developed by perspective software. Blue Iris - Video Security Software
Foscam digital technologies and now their successor company amcrest simply made a box for it and included a printed license key and resold the software.
FYI, amcrest simply rebrands dahua cameras and charges more...there are much better cameras available from dahua that are superior at night and low light..see starlight threads.
You can install the latest version of BI by downloading the update from the website..disable auto update.
You will have to pay for v5. In the past, it has been half off. So about 30 dollars or so. He also provided free upgrades to those who purchased about a month before the new release.
Because blue iris is developed by one person and he provides a low cost product (as well as the fact that foscam/amcrest has screwed over users) many of us support him by buying direct from the website.

TooOldToKnowBetter

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..there are only two versions of blue iris software (full and light) developed by perspective software. Blue Iris - Video Security Software
Foscam digital technologies and now their successor company amcrest simply made a box for it and included a printed license key and resold the software.
FYI, amcrest simply rebrands dahua cameras and charges more...there are much better cameras available from dahua that are superior at night and low light..see starlight threads.
You can install the latest version of BI by downloading the update from the website..disable auto update.
You will have to pay for v5. In the past, it has been half off. So about 30 dollars or so. He also provided free upgrades to those who purchased about a month before the new release.
Because blue iris is developed by one person and he provides a low cost product (as well as the fact that foscam/amcrest has screwed over users) many of us support him by buying direct from the website.
Interestingly when I did my new member introduction I mentioned "Blue Iris". When I looked at my post I noticed that "Blue Iris" was automatically turned into a link to purchase the Amcrest version on Amazon. Does Amcrest contribute to this site? I'm just curious because every post I've seen recommends that you purchase directly from the developer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interestingly when I did my new member introduction I mentioned "Blue Iris". When I looked at my post I noticed that "Blue Iris" was automatically turned into a link to purchase the Amcrest version on Amazon. Does Amcrest contribute to this site? I'm just curious because every post I've seen recommends that you purchase directly from the developer.
No this site is not associated with blue iris or amcrest. You should buy from the developer unless you want issues like your key being resold.
There are automatic links for items on amazon generated so that if you purchase through the link we get paid tiny bit...its not free to run these servers.