Questions on some IP cameras and Home Surveillance equipment

blarf

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After doing some reading on the forum, I'm looking at getting some cameras and a NVR from Nellys:

NSC-204-BT Outdoor HD 4MP IP Bullet Security Camera 4mm AND/OR

NSC-214-DM 4MP WDR Fixed Dome IP Security Camera 2.8mm AND/OR

NSC-2X4-DM 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm

AND

NSN-608-8P 8 Channel POE Plug N Play Hi Def NVR Recorder with 1*4tb HDD to get started

Now, here's where i need some help:

I'm planning on installing 4 cameras to get started (1 in the garage, 1 under the porch by the front door, 1 by the garage looking at the driveway and 1 side yard, looking at the gate/driveway). I don't have any preferences between turret, bullet or dome. Which ones would you recommend out of these 3?

Thank you

Blarf

blarf

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks fenderman for your quick reply.
So go with with the turret and/or the bullet ones from my list? any other recommendations? or any other cameras I should look at?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks fenderman for your quick reply.
So go with with the turret and/or the bullet ones from my list? any other recommendations? or any other cameras I should look at?
Turrets... Also see the dahua starlight turret thread..

blarf

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you recommend the NVR with PoE or without? If I go without, any PoE switch you recommend?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Would you recommend the NVR with PoE or without? If I go without, any PoE switch you recommend?
without...there are several threads discussing managed zyxel switches for 50-100 dollars..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So do you think couple IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW4231EM-AS on a NVR5216-4KS2 would be a better bet? Would that be a better quality image (Day and night??)
I have two 5231s and one 3MP Hikvision.

To me, on bright sunny days, the 3MP Hik has slightly better IQ than the 2MP 5231s. But it's not enough more to be of use.

The rest of the time, the 5231 IQ is much better than the 3MP Hik. At night there is no comparison. The bigger Sony sensor in the 2MP Dahuas captures more photons than the sensor in the Hik, and in terms of IQ, that really favors the Dahua in most situations, even though it has less MP.

I also love the varifocal part of the 5231. I can zoom it in precisely to what I need, so I'm not stuck with extra pixels on the side I don't need. This also helps with IQ.

I have a 5216-4KS2 on its way. I'm going to do POE separately because if it's built-In to the NVR, the NVR creates a separate network for the cameras, which makes directly connecting to them from a computer more of a challenge. There are a few config things that require directly connecting to them, so I wanted to skip that hassle.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @blarf,

That's a good setup you have listed, however, here are a few things to keep in mind: The turret domes are the way to go if you plan to get any "dome" style cameras. I would recommend getting turrets for lower areas as they are harder to vandalize. For anything above 8 feet or so I would go with a bullet. I've listed the dome and bullet I would recommend using for that setup with the NSC-608-8P NVR:

NSC-2X4-BT 4MP EXIR IP Bullet Security Camera 4mm - Nelly's Security

NSC-2X4-DM 4MP WDR EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm - 4 MP - IP Cameras - Hi-Def Cameras - Cameras - Nelly's Security

Also, you get a 3 year warranty and lifetime tech support with the equipment.

Let me know if you have any other questions.