Quick question 1 bad wire & IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE

crevai

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have one bad wire in my 200foot run ( wire 3 ).
I tried to lookup if this camera did not use any of the pairs in a cat5e run or even a single line.
Does anyone know if there is an unused wire I can swap in in place of Green/White (568B) so I don;t need to redo the whole run ? All other lines test good with my cat5 tester.

Thanks.

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I have one bad wire in my 200foot run ( wire 3 ).
I tried to lookup if this camera did not use any of the pairs in a cat5e run or even a single line.
Does anyone know if there is an unused wire I can swap in in place of Green/White (568B) so I don;t need to redo the whole run ? All other lines test good with my cat5 tester.

Thanks.
Someone else with more experience will chime in I'm sure, but perhaps (Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia) helps to clarify what each wire is used for - for any PoE device, not just that specific camera.

Is there any chance the problem is with the termination at one of the ends or have you 100% ruled out that possibility? Either way, sorry to hear...hope you're able to get it sorted.

crevai

n3wb
Reaction score
I should also add I tried a few wires in that # 3 place ( 9,10 and 6 I believe)
So that was fun re-crimping each time on both ends to test.
None worked, but they tested OK with my wire tester.

I want to give it another shot just in case , but figured I would check if anyone knew for sure about that Dahua model and POE as to what may be spare to swap in.

And thanks in advance for any help

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agree with DavidR1, double check terminations are both ends. More likely the problem is here vs. somewhere in the run.
If indeed the break is within the cable run, 10/100 speed requires only 4 conductors (out of 8). So you could wire a custom 4-pin cable to make it work.
If POE is used, then depends if the POE is carried over the same 4 conductors OR the other 4 - check the Wiki link above for pinouts.
A (mode A) POE injector may also be another optionl

crevai

n3wb
Reaction score
I redid the connectors on each end a few times trying different combos to work around that bad wire. So I think that is what you mean by termination. My POE switch is the BV-Tech 10 Port PoE+ Industrial DIN Rail Switch (8 PoE+ Ports | Gigabit Ethernet & SFP Uplink) – 96W – 802.3at. I beleive the wiki is where I got the original teszt where i tried 9&10 in the 3 slot. so instead of the green/White in 3 I put Brown