Quick Sync doesn't appear to be enabled; I am baffled

pcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got an Intel NUC, latest generation, which I bought specifically to run BI under Windows 10. It has an i7-6770 with a lot of RAM, a large SSD, and the Intel HD Graphics Pro 580 graphics. I specifically got it so that I could use the quick sync support in the pro 580 with BI for the H.264 video encoding, to speed things up. With HD cameras now, and one 4k, my previous setup got seriously slow.

But, when I enable that system wide (and I understand it can be done on a per camera basis as well but haven't tried that yet) the video for one of the cameras is messed up.

Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 3.10.51 PM.jpg

When I turn off the Intel HD Hardware Acceleration support, the camera displays normally.

The camera in question is a Reolink PTZ 4MP model (this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016UCNP08/).
The other camera that displays correctly, is a Huisin Mini Bullet PTZ (this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CB759QO/).

I've tried both the H.264 setting and one with video post processing (for the graphics acceleration setting in BI).

I tried using Windows to automatically update the graphics driver, no luck.
I also installed the graphics driver directly from Intel, along with the related control panel. I couldn't find any setting related to enabling quick sync.

One thing I've read elsewhere is that a monitor must be connected for quick sync to work. I am running this headless, but it does have one of those fake HTMI adapters in it (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLZXGJ6). I get the same results with and without this adapter.

Anyone have any ideas?

Peter

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pcam

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried it with a normal HDMi monitor as well; same issue. So it would appear that no monitor, a headless HDMI adapter, and a real monitor all behave the same in this respect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried it with a normal HDMi monitor as well; same issue. So it would appear that no monitor, a headless HDMI adapter, and a real monitor all behave the same in this respect.
Reolink cameras have issues with blue iris...there are several threads as well as a release note discussing this...I would email support and see what he says.
Also note that there is a bug in intel's driver for skylake systems, there is a memory leak when decoding h.264...dont know if intel pushed a new driver to fix it..

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have that camera and don't have an issue with Blue Iris. But I am using an Nvidia adapter. Here are my settings in the IP camera configuration.
Make - Reolink
Model - RLC-410/411/420/422/423 Baseline RTSP
Media/video/RTSP port - 554
Discoovery port - 8000
Receive buffer - 20 MB
Only have Skip intital HTTP DNS checked and Get Event with PullPointSubscrition checked.

Also in the ReoLink client app make sure you have the stream set to Baseline in the Encode Tab. I also set the bitrate to the highest in that tab.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you did not enable "VPP" in your hardware acceleration choice.

As a last resort you can always disable hardware acceleration for just the problematic camera(s). In fact I do this on both my PTZs anyway because hardware acceleration adds video delay which makes controlling the PTZ more clumsy.