Rack design input for parts to house equipment

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to install ~10u rack to house NVR, AV Equipment, and some network devices.

Any input for the type of vented shelf setups people liked ?

This is going on upper shelf in closet:

• Racks
    • Tripp Lite 8U/12U/22U Expandable Wall-Mount 2-Post Open Frame Rack 18" Deep (SRWO8U22)
    • Tripp Lite 9U Wall Mount Rack Enclosure Server Cabinet, 16.5" Deep, Switch-Depth (SRW9U)
    • Navepoint 9U Deluxe IT Wallmount Cabinet Enclosure 19-Inch Server Network Rack With Locking Glass Door 16-Inches Deep Black
  • Vented shelf recommendations?
  • PDU's?

Last edited:

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great idea however.... I have a closet in an entry way that has a shelf that I want to install this Tripplite 9u (can fit up to 11u).

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run a middle atlantic 8u open frame rack in my master closet. I needed the depth because I have an old DLink POE switch that I didn't want to get rid off at the cost of fan noise.

WM Series Rack, WM-8-18
for PDU, I picked up a 20 socket from a local ebay seller that is hooked up to UPS.

What kind of AV equipment you plan on using?

I prefer wall mounts unless you have a dedicated closet or floor place for stand racks.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Setup:
Entry closet in living room
- 42" SMC Structured Media Enclosure with Cover, 42-Inch, White (all rooms terminate in here: cat5e, rg6, rca, speakers, fiber from provider) come into here
- Entertainment center in living room routes all cables and hdmi from tv into the smc as well
- VOIP, Router, Firewall, POE switch for cameras, COAX distribution, all inside SMC

Shelf in this entry closet
- Can Fit up to 11u from Shelf to ceiling (I plan to cut hole in close ceiling to vent into attic)
- Plan to put my AVR, DVD, NVR, Switch POE for AP's on shelf in rack if possible
- Door can be locked to this closet so I could look at open frame rack if I can find one to fit 11u or smaller on shelf to house all these items
- May move some stuff out of SMC and put on rack if room permits
- Wall where SMC is installed is wide open up to attic and down to crawlspace.. shelf is easy to access cables in wall to shelf and smc

Thoughts?

Last edited: