Racoon Cam ?

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need a recommendation for a cam to observe a racoon problem I am having.
I'm targeting with a cam that would mount about 2' above ground (maybe a foot higher ?, this way I'm under the canopy ) 2 mango trees, 1 @ 15' straight out, another at 35' out and to the right about 10' or so.
It would do its job at night time, and plenty dark.
It would need to pick up the critters and alert me in blue iris.
I have an ir blaster, a tendelux B18 in the area, that happens to be positioned right above this planned new location that I could use. Should I place this blaster in another spot to help this cam out?
I have a 5442 and a 5231 a hundred feet back that alerted me to the problems, now I want some up clear up close observance.
I'm thinking another 5442 , maybe the 3.6mm. model. - something else? I don't need audio, but I want the best picture possible.
What do you think ? -
another course of action: remove a 5231 at the house and use that, and replace the house one with a 5442. Those things are nice.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track for the cameras but not sure how taking their picture is going to solve your problem :)
I was just looking at some motion activated water sprinkler / animal chasers on Amazon though for another thread. Seems they learn not to come back pretty quickly.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your right, a cam wont solve the problem, but i did.I stop byTractor.supply,. They had some goodies there that I put in shopping basket that I'm hoping will. I need to see if the remedy will be an effective solution..

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Your right, a cam wont solve the problem, but i did.I stop byTractor.supply,. They had some goodies there that I put in shopping basket that I'm hoping will. I need to see if the remedy will be an effective solution..

cpo888

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 raccoons coming every night, tearing up parts of the front lawn for the last few nights. Looking for a way to trigger a sprinkler zone to run for a minute or two when IVS is triggered at night. Anyone here has rigged up something like that? Sprinkler controller is a B-Hyve. I can ask Alexa to water a zone for x minutes but don't have a good way to tie the camera to Alexa. Appreciate any idea/experience you guys have. TIA.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 3 raccoons coming every night, tearing up parts of the front lawn for the last few nights. Looking for a way to trigger a sprinkler zone to run for a minute or two when IVS is triggered at night. Anyone here has rigged up something like that? Sprinkler controller is a B-Hyve. I can ask Alexa to water a zone for x minutes but don't have a good way to tie the camera to Alexa. Appreciate any idea/experience you guys have. TIA.
They make a motion detection sprinkler

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could probably do it with Home Assistant using available Dahua and B-hyve custom components. But I'm not sure sprinkling would bother raccoons if they are eating.
I've used Sizzle 'N Heat (chilli pepper) bird seed from Walmart to keep raccoons away from a feeder. Maybe it could work with parts of your lawn when you see raccoon activity.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
You could probably do it with Home Assistant using available Dahua and B-hyve custom components. But I'm not sure sprinkling would bother raccoons if they are eating.
I've used Sizzle 'N Heat (chilli pepper) bird seed from Walmart to keep raccoons away from a feeder. Maybe it could work with parts of your lawn when you see raccoon activity.
This Dahua 1831C-PIR with stobe and alarm sound has worked all spring and summer.. no critters hang around.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
my problem solver - I have another tendelux i.r. out by the background mango, that compliments the cameras i.r., but it was off in this shot.
Mid/Late spring activity was plenty, and this method really works well. I lost very few mangoes. Those were due to the squirrels who can jump from trees nearby to get onto to the mangoes. They also have learned not to go the ground and fester around the fallen mangoes. Racoons learned pretty quick to not mess around here.
Cam5.rockycam1 no 2ndir.jpg

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
trapping - that would end up being a full time job, and I'd hate to catch a momma, only to have its 5 or 6 offspring not being caught and relocated at the same time. this way, they would just catch a buzz a time or two, do a little dance, ;) then move on to another area, and not come back. I wish raccoons ate moles, not fruit.