Raspberry Pi Users Unite: What are you using your Raspberry Pi Devices For?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using one of mine for Pi Hole, but doesn't necessarily filter out all the ads (particularly YouTube ads). Ad-Blocker extensions are still required.

What do you use your's for?

Reaction score
I have been really interested in R Pi but have yet to come up with something to use it for. My grandson (2nd grade) has been doing lots of programming with different kits we bought him, but not R Pi. I thought it would be fun to build something with him on this.

spile

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use a RPi4 as a VPN server so that I can access my NAS and cameras (QVR Pro) without opening ports on uPnP on my router. The RPi also acts as a dynamic DNS.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone knows where I can get the cheapest PoE HAT? The included power supply is hefty for some apparent reason

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We recently built an indoor shooting range that includes 4 100 yard rifle lanes. I placed 4 50mm zoom cameras downrange focused on the targets at 100 yards. In the stalls I added small 1080p monitors to each Pi and use the Displaycameras package to show the RTSP feed of each respective camera.

Anyone knows where I can get the cheapest PoE HAT? The included power supply is hefty for some apparent reason
This is the one that I used for my target cam Pi's
Amazon.com: LoveRPi Power-Over-Ethernet (PoE) HAT for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A paper weight at the moment. When I get some free time I need to try to uninstall pi-hole again to reinstall it.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using a raspberry pi with 16+ temperture sensors all over my heating system: my solar boiler system (with glycol_in, glycol_out, sensor on the roof, sensor in the 250 liter boiler, but also on the floor heating tubes in and out valves). This to measure if any of these fluids are "oscillating". All this on home-written php code with mysqld and grafana visualisation. The latter I moved away from the pi to a VPS because the PI couldn't handle the visualisations properly lol.

Reaction score
I use my Pi3 to run Blue Iris and 16 camera's. Nah..just joking :)
I considered a Pi3 for Home Assistant duties. Went the NUC pathway for the faster startup/no SD card corruption.
Though, could see using Pi3's around the house for things.

slamb

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a Pi4 as a NVR. No joke. It actually is powerful enough for the task, at least with on-camera rather than on-NVR analytics.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Pihole.....Pi-hole has the ability to block traditional website advertisements as well as advertisements in unconventional places, such as smart TVs and mobile operating system advertisements. Also reduces network traffic junk; better speed without all the crap.

58ABECFA-C690-4CA1-8864-FFD47D5741F2.jpeg

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Node-red and MQTT listener for a bunch of little temperature & humidity sensors around the house.
What sensors are you using? I've been running acu-rite wireless stuff but I hate the reliance on radio frequencies and their cloud servers.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Node-red and MQTT listener for a bunch of little temperature & humidity sensors around the house.
Hi @crw030 , would you be able to elaborate a bit on your temp monitoring setup? I'm thinking to do something similar with something like 4 (to start) temp sensors. Would be interested to know more about how you set it up, what sensors, and how you pulled it together. Thanks in advance!

NielK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using a Pi stuck to the back of a monitor to provide a simple kiosk to check the Blue Iris footage using UI3. Comfortably copes with 9 x 4MP cameras (even though substreams not enabled at the moment).