Rave to OpenALPR - A World Record?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We are always talking about angles, the best angles to get plate captures etc.

I think I must have captured the world record, well it was actually OpeanALPR that did it.

Take a look at this - it did get the number correct. Using your human eyes take a guess at the plate number.

plate.jpg

Reaction score
I have likewise found that OpenALPR can successfully read plates that even challenge my eyes - very dirty, with poor contrast and at a very poor viewing angle. Rekor hasn't been sitting on its laurels; it has put significant effort into improving the OpenALPR (now Watchman) client over the past few years.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have likewise found that OpenALPR can successfully read plates that even challenge my eyes - very dirty, with poor contrast and at a very poor viewing angle. Rekor hasn't been sitting on its laurels; it has put significant effort into improving the OpenALPR (now Watchman) client over the past few years.
Yes, it is impressive. In low light it can make a few mistakes but that is because the image is just not good enough. Then there are very difficult plates, like this one...

difficult.jpg

Reaction score
I recently installed the latest version of the OpenALPR agent (ver 2.8.101). Last night the attached image (with a very dirty plate) was identified as "1M26C6". I didn't believe the second character was correct after stepping through several different frames - I thought it was an "H" instead of an "M". So I checked the vehicle model (imaged from my overview camera) against the plate number using www.findbyplate.com.

OpenALPR was correct .... I was wrong. I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the software. This is not the first instance where OpenALPR has identified a difficult plate, but the newest version of the Agent, when running on an NVIDIA GPU, can be quite remarkable in its performance.

LPR West.jpg

Last edited:

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1 on openalpr. Its outstanding compared to other software. I mostly deal in Milestone but there is no comparison between OpenALPR and Milestone LPR. Not even a fair fight.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not only very good with off-angles, also very fast.
Captured plate with little room between the edge of frame & parked HVAC van.

Attachments