Really Confused Again about NVR

Rodney Tindel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so after reading through the cliff notes and posts again I terribly confused. I thought I needed a nvr: However, do I only need a Poe switch connected to a computer that runs blue iris. Thanks for any help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either schema will record surveillance video but they both exist so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.

Personally, I chose Blue Iris. It's powerful, very configurable, affordable and will work with many brands and models of cameras. Unlike a NVR which has a camera limit based on its initial number of POE ports (such as 4, 8, 16 or 32), I can start out with 8 cams on a 8 port POE switch and add another POE switch and more cams down the road, all the way to 64 cams (God help me).

If you start out with 4 cams, buy a 8 port POE switch, if you start out with 7 cams, buy a 16 port and so on. Run cameras to POE switch, PC with BI to switch, PC to router (if Internet desired); don't run any cams through router.

To get the best performance and satisfaction from your installation, it's VERY important to purchase hardware that works best with BI and also configure it to optimize BI's performance.

Regarding the BI server PC, it's best to have Windows, BI and the BI database (db) folder on a SSD and record video clips to a surveillance-rated HDD, such as a WD Purple.
Ideally, you'd want a fresh install of Windows 10 on that SSD using the MS Media Creation Tool. The PC should be dedicated as a BI server and have no other function or purpose except to run BI.

Last edited:

vidarak

n3wb
Reaction score
I used an old Windows computer at first but moved to an NVR for simplicity and reliability. You're not limited to the initial number of PoE ports of course. I bought the NVR4116-4KS2 initially, which has zero PoE ports and supports 16 cameras. I added PoE switches or independent PoE injectors as necessary depending on the location (some locations had had existing non-PoE switches nearby and just needed 1 PoE port, so got a $5 PoE injector). For a normal small setup it is near impossible to beat the price/performance point of a small non-POE NVR when compared to a NUC/PC IMHO.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I used an old Windows computer at first but moved to an NVR for simplicity and reliability. You're not limited to the initial number of PoE ports of course. I bought the NVR4116-4KS2 initially, which has zero PoE ports and supports 16 cameras. I added PoE switches or independent PoE injectors as necessary depending on the location (some locations had had existing non-PoE switches nearby and just needed 1 PoE port, so got a $5 PoE injector). For a normal small setup it is near impossible to beat the price/performance point of a small non-POE NVR when compared to a NUC/PC IMHO.
Nvrs are not more reliable than pc. They are also not more simple to operate. They just have less options and are extremely limited. That’s why you have another thread about upgrading your nvr because it’s limited.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I chose an NVR, mainly because I wanted a solution that would work out of the box and can support the specified number of cameras.
Building a PC for a client software is easy, but you'll never know for definite how many cameras you can run. You can anticipate the hardware to run 'x' amount of cameras but you want fully know until you try.

Secondly is that the client software's (like BI, ZoneMinder and iSpy) look just as bad as an NVR's interface to began with. If I'm just wanting to record continuously, I'm happy with an NVR.

This is the conclusion I have come to from discussions with people I know that went from an NVR to BI.

Make your own decision, my opinion for an NVR is only an opinion. Just like people's opinions on a PC.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Rodney Tindel ,
The good news is that should you decide to go the NVR route and later, unlike vidarak, feel like throwing it in the trash...there's hope!

You can set up Blue Iris on a PC and most likely you'll be able to stream directly from the NVR or from the cameras connected to the NVR right to Blue Iris and set up your motion zones, alerts, etc. to your heart's content on Blue Iris. The NVR can be a backup for video clip storage or a door stop...your choice!

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Does blue iris support the new and improved (AI) Artificial Intelligence Perimeter Protection Tripwire, Intrusion(Human & Vehicle classification) in the new line up of Dahua cameras? If so, how easy is it to set-up? or how many hours would you spend setting this up on Blue Iris?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does blue iris support the new and improved (AI) Artificial Intelligence Perimeter Protection Tripwire, Intrusion(Human & Vehicle classification) in the new line up of Dahua cameras? If so, how easy is it to set-up? or how many hours would you spend setting this up on Blue Iris?
It remains to be seen, I guess.

But for me an even bigger question would be if I had the desire and felt the need to utilize all those camera features and capabilities, just how much should I expect from $60 software? :blankstare:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I chose an NVR, mainly because I wanted a solution that would work out of the box and can support the specified number of cameras.
Building a PC for a client software is easy, but you'll never know for definite how many cameras you can run. You can anticipate the hardware to run 'x' amount of cameras but you want fully know until you try.

Secondly is that the client software's (like BI, ZoneMinder and iSpy) look just as bad as an NVR's interface to began with. If I'm just wanting to record continuously, I'm happy with an NVR.

This is the conclusion I have come to from discussions with people I know that went from an NVR to BI.

Make your own decision, my opinion for an NVR is only an opinion. Just like people's opinions on a PC.
You never have to build a PC there are companies out there like Dell and HP Google them.
The blue Iris interface is significantly better than the NVR I’ve seen. It’s faster and much more responsive and gives you much more control. The basic functions like alerts They are simply unusable in a home environment where people come and go unless you have fine control and allow quick and easy change over when they fire or which cameras fire which is not possible with an NVR.

Finally it’s very easy to determine what type of system you need for Software like blue Iris. I’m not sure why you were so confused. There are threads dedicated to explaining the requirements. Also understand that if you max out an NVR to the specified bit rates it will run like crap. So therefore you cannot know how many cameras you can run on an NVR simply because it has 16 channel does that mean you’ll be able to run 16 cameras at full resolution and full frame rate and full bit rare.

In fact now that blue Iris has a new sub stream feature Which uses sub stream for decoding, You can buy a late model sixth generation I5 And basically run almost any set up.

The standalone NVR’s are a joke compared to VMS software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Buy an NVR. Then when you are frustrated come back.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I did, and it’s running like a dream with no false alarms, human notifications only.
Yes, that is why you are looking into blue iris eh? No false alarms? Even dahua doesnt claim that. What about false negatives?
Tell me, because I would love to know, when you get home how do you disable alerts for your indoor cams? If you dont have indoor cams, how do you disable alerts say for your backyard cams so that you are not bother with constant alerts as you relax?
FYI, aside from sentry aI that is available now on BI, blue iris is integrating free local ai from deepstack and likely some others.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Had blue iris, nice program but I don’t have the time to configure and tweak every camera for zone crossings etc, etc. Was frustrating. So I purchased a new Dahua 4.0 NVR and some new Dahua AI smart cameras from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY and quickly set up some tripwires and intrusions around my house. Mostly to keep an eye on my 4 yr old from going on the road. It’s like a invisible fence. So far I’m happy with the new set up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Had blue iris, nice program but I don’t have the time to configure and tweak every camera for zone crossings etc, etc. Was frustrating. So I purchased a new Dahua 4.0 NVR and some new Dahua AI smart cameras from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY and quickly set up some tripwires and intrusions around my house. Mostly to keep an eye on my 4 yr old from going on the road. It’s like a invisible fence. So far I’m happy with the new set up.
You dont need to configure every zone or crossing, but as you stated you had to do this with dahua. You can use AI with blue iris. Blue iris zone crossing is much more powerful than line crossing as the zones are profile specific so you can change them based on time of day, sunrise/sunset, event etc.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me, because I would love to know, when you get home how do you disable alerts for your indoor cams? If you dont have indoor cams, how do you disable alerts say for your backyard cams so that you are not bother with constant alerts as you relax?
I'd like to know that also. :blankstare:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I do have to turn off AI notifications for that camera in the DMSS phone app manually.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You never have to build a PC there are companies out there like Dell and HP Google them.
The blue Iris interface is significantly better than the NVR I’ve seen. It’s faster and much more responsive and gives you much more control. The basic functions like alerts They are simply unusable in a home environment where people come and go unless you have fine control and allow quick and easy change over when they fire or which cameras fire which is not possible with an NVR.

Finally it’s very easy to determine what type of system you need for Software like blue Iris. I’m not sure why you were so confused. There are threads dedicated to explaining the requirements. Also understand that if you max out an NVR to the specified bit rates it will run like crap. So therefore you cannot know how many cameras you can run on an NVR simply because it has 16 channel does that mean you’ll be able to run 16 cameras at full resolution and full frame rate and full bit rare.

In fact now that blue Iris has a new sub stream feature Which uses sub stream for decoding, You can buy a late model sixth generation I5 And basically run almost any set up.

The standalone NVR’s are a joke compared to VMS software.
I think you've missed the point of my post.

Its the conclusion I have come to from the opinion of someone who has tried both.
For what I chose; an NVR is cheap VS buying a used PC and purchasing a BI licence.
I don't see the problem with an NVR for continuous recording.

My expectations are low, I'm not besotted by all the features for looking at a driveway.
We'll see where my opinion stands once it arrives and I use it for a bit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you've missed the point of my post.

Its the conclusion I have come to from the opinion of someone who has tried both.
For what I chose; an NVR is cheap VS buying a used PC and purchasing a BI licence.
I don't see the problem with an NVR for continuous recording.

My expectations are low, I'm not besotted by all the features for looking at a driveway.
We'll see where my opinion stands once it arrives and I use it for a bit.
Yes, the NVR is perfect for continuous recording and nothing else. The problem will surface when you actually need to find an event. My reply was to point out inaccuracies in your statement about the certainty than an nvr provides which is false.