really funky behaviour with a PTZ1C203UE-GN

knedit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Recently got one of these cameras off ebay and its acting very strangely, Its currently using wifi (bad idea i know, planning to switch to Ethernet when the POE injector arrives). I have it mounted on a wall that is effectively right above my wifi router, like literally 6 feet away from it. While inside it is fine and works all around the house, solid 30 fps, but outside it drops to almost nothing, despite my phone having a perfectly good signal. When it does work, it drops out continuously and trying to use the PTZ functions instantly kills the connection for around two minutes. Leaving it stationary works until night, at which point it dropped out again.

I have a few theories on this,
-Cable feeding 12v to it is too long / low quality (the power supply is working fine and is able to provide more than enough power)
-Some sort of piping / metal in the wall which blocks the signal
-Cold temperatures here cause wifi to misbehave

any thoughts on what could cause something like this? its really confusing.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do you have foil backed rigid insulation under your siding by chance? I do, and my wifi works perfect on the inside of an exterior wall, and almost non existent a foot away on the outside of the wall. Couple that with a camera that has a weak wifi receiver, and you get no communication. Aluminum siding might cause this too on a weak signal.

Test the power supply with same wire/length/supply inside AND outside to possibly isolate it to a power issue.

Hopefully when you get POE running the problem goes away.

knedit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have foil backed rigid insulation under your siding by chance? I do, and my wifi works perfect on the inside of an exterior wall, and almost non existent a foot away on the outside of the wall. Couple that with a camera that has a weak wifi receiver, and you get no communication. Aluminum siding might cause this too on a weak signal.

Test the power supply with same wire/length/supply inside AND outside to possibly isolate it to a power issue.

Hopefully when you get POE running the problem goes away.
I'm honestly not sure but it seems possible, this is the third camera ive installed out there now to the same results, the one im replacing had to have a massive directional antenna put on it before it had a good connection