Rearview mirror cam suggestions

Meanie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a rearview mirror dash cam. I currently have a Yi cam and once had a rearview mirror cam and I prefer the mirror cam due to it's discrete position. Nothing with an extreme price but I'll pay for something that's worthwhile and can keep the time and date if the car isn't used for a few days. My current one no longer keep and accurate time/date if I don't drive for a few days.

Thanks

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When you say rearview Mirror, is that mounted on the mirror glass but looking forward? or looking out the back?
I have a Garmin 47 but I mounted it on the windshield glass , but very high, so it's behind the mirror, so I don't see it and get distracted trying to play around with it.
I like the following too close alerts, and the " hey dumbass go ! " alerts.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I did buy the rearview mirror mounts that a You tuber had shown in his Garmin 47 setup.....but they seemed add more "shake" and false accident alerts because they wiggled around a bit. and they took away the stealthy look of this mirror hide.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
They've been around for a long time but I've never heard of anyone who's used one. There might be a warning right there or it could just be they're not popular as an idea.

As with any camera, I'd be less concerned about the mirror, provided it wiil fit over your existing mirror, and more concerned with the camera specs. The mirror is just a screen. Ultimately, it's the camera quality you need to worry about and for that you need to know the CMOS used, the chipset and independent tests / video day and night on YT or dashcamera forums would probably help with a decision. I never trust vendors or manufacturers website for sample as they nearly always look way too perfect.

One reason they might not be popular is any video displayed on the screen will likely make it very difficult to see anything reflected from behind as the 2 images will merge. Same with watching footage back. I Would have to question the legality in some jurisdictions as well because of this where rear view mirrors are compulsory because if the image is displayed whilst recoridng, then it might create an offence if the rear view isn't clear. This might be a reason why they're not popular. If rear view is interefered with by the video image and video playback is affected by the rear view reflections, you'd have to question how useful they really are. Don't know if this is the case as never had one!

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @Meanie - In 2019, I purchased a very similar DYMCO mirror-camera from Amazon (no longer listed). I wanted it as a backup camera and for road incident "insurance". The first one failed after several months, and the Chinese vendor quickly replaced it. After a couple of years, it was getting flaky and I have since removed it.

The video only comes on the mirror screen automatically when the car is in reverse (if you wire it to your reverse light). The video was quite good for this. For normal driving, the video is OFF and the LCD screen is then a passive mirror. You CAN manually select the front or rear video to come on live while driving forward, but this is not normal. However, when I had large boxes filling the back of the SUV , selecting the live rear camera video while driving was quite useful.

The passive LCD mirror is definitely not as good as the original rear view mirror. There is some vibration that occurs with the extra weight and rubber straps that hold it in place. It also does not appear to have any anti-glare coating. This rear view at night was particularly compromised. An LCD mirror cam makes it tough for me to recommend, especially if you have an original mirror with additional features that could be covered up.

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I appreciate this thread as I really need to get a mirror style backup camera for my daughter. If it has a full dashcam system that would be even better. I'm serious considering the Wolfbox g850, especially since it is $119 right now on Amazon. It has dropped to that price several times recently, but it has never been lower than $119, so it seems like a decent time to buy. (Of course Black Friday is coming up soon too.....).

I've been reading reviews and it always cracks me up that people complain about framerates. For example, "Thumbs down because 4k only records at 25 frames per second and not 60." What in the hell are you expecting to record that 24 frames per second isn't more than enough???? Clearly these people have never actually thought about what they are saying, but just regurgitate what they have read previously.