Reboot causing video settings to revert to low quality on Amcrest IP5M-B1186EW and IP5M-T1179EW

rj829

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having an issue where both my Amcrest cameras (running same firmware but different models) revert the video configuration to the lowest setting on a reboot.

To reproduce:
Login to web interface for camera, goto Setup -> Camera -> Video and set the settings as below:
1685721804767.png
Hit save, it says its successful. The resolution of videos and snapshots is right (2592x1944).

Goto Sytem -> Auto maintain -> Manually reboot camera

When it comes back online, go back into the above screen and now it looks like this - back to 720p:
1685721953737.png

In the Information -> Log, every reboot has an event like this that appears to be changing back the video settings:
1685722009809.png
Detailed Information
Time: 2023-06-02 09:59:38
User Name: System
Type: Save Configuration
Content:
Name: Video Format

I'm on the latest firmware - unsure if this happened prior to that.. just noticed all my videos were low-res...
2.820.00AC001.0.R, Build Date: 2023-01-13

Any thoughts?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try again on the IE browser and see if it save changes if your previous attempts were using other browsers. Some cameras will only work on IE browser.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think you need to auto-reboot those cams.
I have some of them, and they have worked fine without that.
Also if you are using an NVR, it may supercede your cam gui settings for the internal NVR settings.

rj829

n3wb
Reaction score
Auto-reboot might just be noise - it happens on any reboot or power failure (which is about once a week given the remote location and weather).

I changed the admin password to eliminate any phone app or other device changing the settings. I have the Amcrest Surveillance connected but its not running.
I think if it was a user-based change (ie, the NVR connecting, or the amcrest mobile app) it would show the user not as "system"...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
This must be a quirk of that particular firmware.

I found something similar with a Dahua cam, I normally enable sub stream 2 and disable 1 but after a restart it would always disable 2 and enable 1. This caused issues with BI as if the cam restarted then BI would be looking for sub stream 2 which wasn’t enabled so would think the cam was offline.

I systematically went through quite a few firmware versions before I found one that didn’t have this issue.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
im on Blue Iris and NVR
sometimes, if you change the camera settings " at the camera" interface...it may have a different setting inside NVR.
.208 is NVR
.111 is Cam gui.
just something to check....not saying thats the issue.
1685726414583.png
1685726506858.png

rj829

n3wb
Reaction score
are you on an NVR?
Had Amcrest Surveillance hooked up, but no NVR. Actually removed the devices from AS as well just to be sure.

Try again on the IE browser and see if it save changes if your previous attempts were using other browsers. Some cameras will only work on IE browser.
Don't have IE anymore, but same effect changing via Amcrest Surveillance, Edge, Chrome, Firefox. The change and interface all work fine - just the reboot which could be a week later causing it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Explorer is still there and there are ways to get Explorer again.

The simple way is to change the BHO folder to another name like oldBHO and BAM Explorer is back...and this thread also shows other ways...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\110.0.1512.48\

Then change BHO to oldBHO or something else and Explorer will open

Looks Like Internet Explorer Died Today

Or this way:

"But I upgraded to Win11" .... yep still available:

rj829

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj , but might be veering off the primary issue... not really looking to do that to use a less-than-2-year old camera :)

I feel its a firmware bug w/ latest or otherwise something w/ my config. Doesn't seem like others are seeing it, so logging a support ticket w/ amcrest now and will report back.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hear ya, but if others with this camera don't have this issue and they use Explorer and you don't...that seems like the root cause. These firmware are unfortunately still rooted in Explorer and they don't seem to be in any hurry to reinvent the firmware wheel.

Keep in mind we still see the need to use Explorer on brand new cameras that just came out in the past 4 months, so my comment was also for people that find this thread later LOL.

Lots of threads here even within the past few days on new Dahua cams (and Amcrest is Dahua OEM), and even new Hikvision cams, where settings would change and revert to other things using other browsers and once the person reluctantly decided to use Explorer..... and BAM the setting stuck....

Here is one on a brand new camera:

Last edited: