Receiving RTP Streams from a far-flung source

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope you can help me out with this one. Up until now I have worked on projects that have been on a local LAN, however I have been tasked with building a much different system.

We are dealing with a helicopter video downlink system that is spread of a large geographic area. They will be using a microwave receiver and a decoder to receive the streaming video. The decoder gives to option of sending out a UDP or RTP stream to either a multicast or unicast destination. Some of the receive sites are hardlined, others will be over a cellular network. Either way, it has to cross the internet at some point.

They are operating a server that has been used for IP camera purposes in the past using Canon VHB41's on Cradlepoint Cellular modem/routers. It is behind corporate firewalls galore so I am attempting to bypass them with a cellular modem/router for a proof-of-concept demonstration. This is where things start getting fuzzy.

Here is what I have configured:

(Local Hardware)
Server IP: 10.0.1.10
Server Cellular Modem WAN IP: 169.250.176.172 (Not the actual IP, but you get the idea)
Server Port Forward UDP 169.250.176.172:12003 --> 10.0.1.10:12003

(Remote Receiver)
Encoder/Decoder:192.168.143.2
Stream: rtp:/169.250.176.172:12003

In BI, what address would I set as my source? Would it be the local c=modem/router LAN address? Or am I missing something else further upstream? Thank you for your help!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never set up a camera that pushes out its stream like that before, so I'm not sure how Blue Iris does it, but I would suggest trying to get VLC media player or similar to receive and play the stream first just so you get certain things figured out before trying with Blue Iris which doesn't give you much feedback when something doesn't work.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you intend for a cellular modem to receive the RTP stream and forward it to Blue Iris. Have you verified that port forwarding works at all with your modem and service subscription?

Reaction score
It sounds like you intend for a cellular modem to receive the RTP stream and forward it to Blue Iris. Have you verified that port forwarding works at all with your modem and service subscription?
I know my current (temporary) cellular router situation does have port forwarding and it is enabled. I forwarded the TCP port to BI's web interface and it picks it up just fine. I went ahead and forwarded the UDP ports 12000-12004 to it as well.

An item of note. Each microwave receive site will have its own stream and source in BI, hence UDP ports 12000-12004.

Reaction score
Progress. On my server I am able to view the UDP stream coming in from the other side of the state. VLC's view stream address is udp:/@10.0.1.10:12000 (which is the server's internal IP address on the LAN)

Buuut when I plug that into BI's camera config.....Nothin. Thoughts?