Recent events has me thinking of better gas cans: Midwest Can Company Jerry Can Review, from Harbor Freight! ( gasoline can )

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
But of course, it is. You can thank the retarded white house resident for all of this inflation.......

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
They lie like a politician. The spout is not "quick flow". The spout is not "spill proof". Since these Obama cans came out, I have spilled gallons of gas and diesel and broken more spouts than I can shake a stick at. Up until the obama spout came out, I had never broken a spout before. In my whole life, I might have collectively spilled less than a quarter of gallon of gas until the new damn spout would snap off either at the resting edge and then the damn valve wouldn't open up anymore or they would snap off at the neck, spilling gallons of fuel everywhere. I would like to snap off one of those spouts in obamas ass for creating the damn things.......

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 7.48.19 PM.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of the HF metal cans. The can is ok. Metal isn't as thick as with the old style jerry cans, but good enough IMO and way better than a plastic can (also IMO). The plastic spout and cap are crap. You'd likely curse the no-drip spout, and the screw-on cap breaks after a while. I have a couple of the old-style jerry cans, which are also ok, and different spouts are available. My favorite can is this one .
Capture.JPG

The stupid looking plastic funnel is detachable and works well. I find the lower height+bigger base form factor easier to carry and pour, and when carrying it in the car it doesn't want to tip over as easily. I have only the three types of cans I mentioned, so can't compare to the newer style nato jerry can.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Old style, okay, not that old, jerry cans. Labeled as not for fuel since they don't meet some stupid US laws on them, probably related to the nozzle. I have had some of these for about 10 years, they work fine, once you ditch the stupid idiot nozzle.

There are other places to buy these as well, I believe these are Wavian branded.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That linkage to open the release valve looks like quite a contraption!
It’s a simple plunger. Works well as a shutoff to prevent overfill of tank. Does require a shot of lube periodically to keep it working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. I used to have a couple of WW2 surplus "Jerry" cans that hold 5 gallons of gasoline. I only have 1 left. I think I paid $5 for it at the time in one of the Army and Navy surplus stores. I do not remember what I did with the other one. I may have given it to a friend way back when.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The wavian cans are nice for filling up the width of the truck bed, but when people like me bring home a single can in a car, the tall form factor adds a lot of tipping over risk. That creates the decision to ignore the risk, or spending a lot of time securing the can, not particularly easy in a trunk or seating area..

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The wavian cans are nice for filling up the width of the truck bed, but when people like me bring home a single can in a car, the tall form factor adds a lot of tipping over risk. That creates the decision to ignore the risk, or spending a lot of time securing the can, not particularly easy in a trunk or seating area..
Just lay the Wavians on their side. They don't leak and hold pressure. One of the significant advantages of that kind of can - no leaks, no spills, and no odors. The last one is very important for cars and SUVs. For my Jeep Wrangler, I have a paracord tied to one side with a CamJam. String it across to the other side, across the top of the handles and under one, pull it tight, and it stays put, whether I have one or five of them back there.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I get the message about the can on the side. I've noticed even the HF can holds pressure until the cap collar fractures. Having admitted all that, the thought of it makes me nervous. Gravity is the law! It's the same feeling that I had when switching from paper tape to mag tape. If I couldn't see the holes, how could I believe anything was written on it? (And there have been a few times over the years when I have indeed found a tape I wanted to use be blank).