recent issue...poor wan streaming w/ios app

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i've been running BI for years with the same modem/router/network setup with no issues. this recent problem just started in the past week and i am trying to determine what caused it.

situation: local lan streaming, BI recording works fine. lan streaming to iOS app works fine.

problem: if i turn off my iPhone's wifi or if i'm away from home on cellular, i get limited functionality. the iOS app will connect, but sometimes it takes a couple of tries and sometimes kicks me back to the login screen on the app. the camera view rarely gives me live camera views. the images of the camera views are usually blank. sometimes recorded clips and images will work but not always.

i cleared up a lot of HD space, rebuilt the BI database.

BI is 4.5.8.4.x64. iOS is latest.

any ideas on thing to check?

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Once you are on the Internet, a lot of things can happen.

What is your upload speed? Did your provider recently start throttling it? Is there anything else uploading to the internet on your network? You could try configuring QoS and prioritizing traffic to the BI server.

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Once you are on the Internet, a lot of things can happen.

What is your upload speed? Did your provider recently start throttling it? Is there anything else uploading to the internet on your network? You could try configuring QoS and prioritizing traffic to the BI server.
no throttling, consistent 60/12 on business class.

i just reinstalled the windows app and have reinstalled the iOS app. same problem.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The database and hard drive don't know/care where/how you're coming in so if it's OK locally then that won't be it.

Not likely to be the web server either for the same reason given the usual set up but try hitting it via a browser vs the BI app. If it's OK using the browser, then that tells you that it's probably not your web server/network/system. If that's also bad, then I'd look to your incoming network first (router and upstream), app next. If you're able to get everywhere else and stream video OK, then not likely to be your phone/mobile connection.

Last edited:

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would try configuring QoS on your router and prioritize the BI server.

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so i had some time to mess with this over the weekend.

first, i installed a different router (edgerouter x replaced zyxel usg). same problem existed.

second, pulled out old BI PC from last fall which was running 4.4.x. this fixed the problem. no streaming issues with iOS over cellular at all.

i let the old pc update to the latest BI and the problem came back.

I've emailed support with the situation.

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still having cellular iOS app problems on 4.5. intermittent login failures (but can eventually connect after 3-4 tries), 10+ second delay in loading live cameras, camera images in live view are often rainbow test patterns, clicking on an individual camera works after a 10+ second delay, clips option usually does not load.

I purchased a second BI license, setup a spare i7 on the same lan connected to the same 5 cameras. so I now have two installs of BI running at the same time. one of them is on 4.4.9.1x64 (only 4.4 copy i had saved) and the other is up to date on 4.5.8.6x64. iOS is up to date with latest os/app. cable modem is business class with plenty of capacity. wan access through router shows fine. both installs of BI are fresh (in totally uninstalled/reinstalled).

over cellular using the iOS app, the 4.4 machine works perfectly. quick and snappy just like it always was. the 4.5 machine exhibits the problems i listed above.

I've been back and forth with support on this with no final explanation or resolution. i'm convinced there is something up with something in the 4.5 update.

any other troubleshooting ideas? and is anyone else having similar problems?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
*shrug* I'm running 4.5 a couple of versions back from the latest and IOS via LAN, cell, and VPN and I've not seen any similar problems.

Might check in the app... bottom of the set-up screen (gear icon)... encoder profiles for LAN vs WAN. See if there's some difference there that might be handled differently by the various versions of BI.

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks. the encoder profiles are at default, the first setting. tried the others, no different.

in the mean time, i finally setup a VPN on my router and it works fine. i probably should have done this a long time ago. i'll monitor the updates to see if my other issue gets fixed (the last 2 in the past couple of days did not fix it). meanwhile, the VPN makes sense for BI, my home automation app, and my synology units.