Recent Motion Detection Side Effect

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After updating to the most recent version on one of my Blue Iris boxes I noticed a new issue.
The Camera is displaying the time and Blue Iris is detecting the numerals changing as motion.

I have not yet come up with a workaround to meet my needs and was looking for any input.

I am using the camera to display the time because I need the time on the recording and I am using Direct to Disc so my understanding is Direct to Disc prevents Blue Iris from inserting its time.

I cannot put a mask over the time because I want to detect motion in the area behind where the time displays.

The camera allows me to move the display location to a few places but unfortunately none of them are in an area where I can put a mask to not detect motion.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After updating to the most recent version on one of my Blue Iris boxes I noticed a new issue.
The Camera is displaying the time and Blue Iris is detecting the numerals changing as motion.

I have not yet come up with a workaround to meet my needs and was looking for any input.

I am using the camera to display the time because I need the time on the recording and I am using Direct to Disc so my understanding is Direct to Disc prevents Blue Iris from inserting its time.

I cannot put a mask over the time because I want to detect motion in the area behind where the time displays.

The camera allows me to move the display location to a few places but unfortunately none of them are in an area where I can put a mask to not detect motion.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...
Post an image of your motion settings...you must have it set to very sensitive...you can remove a few pixels in the clock area and still detect larger objects but not set off motion because of the clock..

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did lower the object size a bit on that one because it was missing vehicles on the road and the lens is a 2.8mm on that one so the vehicles appear smaller.
I have to remote in to get a screenshot and the latency is horrible right now so it will take a bit.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Screenshot is a little blurry as I had to reduce the resolution due to the poor latency.
Object size is 349 and contrast is 32.
Putting a little more thought into it. I reduced the object size because the vehicles are at a little distance and with the 2.8mm lens they are comparatively small in relation to the overall image.
That being noted, the numerals from the time are about the same size and height of the vehicles driving past so I might just have to deal with it.Capture.PNG

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I did to eliminate this was log into the camera GUI and make the OSD text the smallest or next to the smallest size. I can then zoom in to see that information if needed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Screenshot is a little blurry as I had to reduce the resolution due to the poor latency.
Object size is 349 and contrast is 32.
Putting a little more thought into it. I reduced the object size because the vehicles are at a little distance and with the 2.8mm lens they are comparatively small in relation to the overall image.
That being noted, the numerals from the time are about the same size and height of the vehicles driving past so I might just have to deal with it.View attachment 9364
These settings should not trigger a recording for standard time fonts (Hikvision for example) though blue iris will detect the motion. You can try reducing the size of the time if your camera allows for it. You can also selectively remove a few boxes of detection from the clock area so that it wont trigger but a passing car will. Another option is to use the more advanced area/zone crossing options in BI.

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I would try turning on object detection and setting the distance to 50 or 100 pixels. That should solve it.

Mike