Recommend an underwater camera, please

HDRyder9

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a customer that wants to install a camera under a dock to watch fish. The environment is tidal saltwater. The depth will be six to 8 feet. I'm planning on constructing a mount the will allow the camera to come out of the water for frequent cleaning and maintenance. Can anyone recommend a high quality housing for an IP camera or actual underwater camera for a permanently mounted camera. Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does he have to see the fish live? you could just shove a GoPro on a stick.. otherwise, I think you'd be best off with an off the shelf camera and a custom made enclosure that can handle the pressure and corrosion.. perhaps shoved inside a stainless steel tube with a heavy gasketed lens cover.

a local metal fab shop could probably create what you need, it wont be cheap but at least it'll be upgradeable and reusable.. make sure your gasket material is good for salt water, like Viton or something that can take it.. I doubt basic rubber is a good idea.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reasonable expectations are key. Make sure they understand that Hollywood type results require a ton of light and very good cameras and are out of reach.

camuse16

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are some links to U/W camera manufactures. I've used cameras from both companies and they are great. They are world leaders in U/W cameras. I believe Kongsberg are building IP cameras now, not sure about SubC. Both companies are quite expensive.. Likely overkill for your application but it's a place to start. Housings can be stainless or anodized aluminum with o' ring seals on the end caps and you can get some ideas from the sites if you decide to get one fabricated. Maintenance is limited to connector cleaning once a month or so. Hope it's ok to link as I have below..

Colour Underwater Video Cameras - Kongsberg Maritime

Remote imaging systems for harsh environments

HDRyder9

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming. Price isn't of primary importance. I am strongly considering fabricating a housing and installing a standard camera inside. Stainless steel would be good but I've seen home made enclosures made of PVC. The Go Pro is out because he wants real time viewing. I'm thinking if he sees a large fish he wants to grab a pole and go fishing.

HDRyder9

n3wb
Reaction score
A fishfinder [Sonar] displays a digital representation of an echo. Nothing like a camera view.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I know. But depending on your water clarity, lighting, time of day, etc it might actually be more useful for "seeing" fish. Possibly consider it as an addition to rather than a replacement of the proposed camera(s).