Recommend Graphics Card for Virtualisation

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I'm bored and in lockdown I'm looking for a little project to entertain myself. I'm waiting for 6 cameras in the post so I need to be occupied until they arrive (swapping out some old Hikvision cameras with new Dahuas).

My current setup is BI on an i5-6500/16GB ProDesk and it's funning perfectly. No reason to change that setup and I more than likely won't, I just want to experiment. I also have an i7-4790 machine running ProxMox and a few VM's like Openmediavault, Ubuntu and Home Assistant.

I'd like to put a Windows VM on the ProxMox machine and try out BI on it. To do so I need a graphics card as passing through the iGPU in ProxMox sounds like too much trouble. I figure a cheap, fanless GT710 or similar might be good enough although my monitor is a 32" 4K. If possible I'd like this card to perform hardware acceleration for BI.

Would the GT710 be good enough?

Regardless if this VM doesn't work out for BI, I might use the opportunity to decommission a second i5-6500 ProDesk I have running as my workstation PC.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nvidia has a compatibility matrix here.

According to that, a GT710 has both decoding and encoding capability, but only for H.264. There are a number of GT 710 variants with different RAM speed and quantity, and that may affect how many megapixels of video streams it can handle. I can't even guess how much that will be.

Note that a GT710 won't have an HDMI 2.0 or Displayport connection so it can't do 4K at 60hz refresh rate with full color data. You will either need to run the monitor at 30hz or use chroma subsampling to achieve 60hz.